Monday, May 9, 2016

A is for Apple, T is for Teacher Appreciation - #BlogWithFriends

Apple Amaretto Almond Streusel Topped Muffins!!!
A is for apple, A is for almonds, A is for amaretto! And T is for Teacher Appreciation. May is teacher appreciation and we decided that this would be our theme for May with our #BlogWithFriends group post.
Many years ago I was a teacher's helper, assistant, class mom and president of the PTA. My plate was a little full and I loved every minute of it. Fast forward 2 years and I was home-schooling my boys, tutoring 2 others, running a support group, working with the state, running a co-op, volunteering for several organizations and our church, once again my plate was over running and I loved every minute of it.
Working so closely with the teachers as the PTA president I can tell you that they loved, yes LOVED, teacher appreciation. I went out of my way to listen to our teachers and provide them with a luncheon and gifts that truly spoke to them of our love and appreciation for them. They told me no one had ever done that for them. I was shocked. WHY would the school, the PTA and parents NOT show their appreciation?
When I asked this question at a PTA meeting I was met with "It's their job" and "They get paid". WOW do you have ANY idea just how LITTLE a teacher makes in NC?? Straight out of college a first year teacher can expect $22-28k a year. Now you may think that sounds like a lot, but remember they supply their rooms with activity centers, books, games, rugs, chairs, cleaning supplies and the list goes on and on. Break that down and you will quickly realize that their salary is spread very thinly.
As a mom and former (my boys are grown and graduated) home-school mom, I can tell you being appreciated is rare and wonderful. My support group parents were appreciative and were quick to thank me for my efforts.
I tried every few months to thank my boys Sunday School teachers, youth leaders and anyone who taught them like piano, guitar, football, etc...they always seemed shocked but were always pleased.
As the end of the school year ends, the kids become restless and the teachers are tired. With that in mind, I made these delicious muffins. I know many of my teacher friends would LOVE these. Apple, Almonds and Amaretto! Oh yeah baby! You could make them without the booze,but it's only 2 tablespoons and the flavor is great. Plus after a long day, week or year in the classroom, we all need a little booze :)
Be sure to scroll to the end and visit the other ladies participating in this months group post.


Cooking spray and muffin liners 12
all-purpose flour 1 1/2 cups
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup whipped cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons amaretto (OR almond extract)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
large egg
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup almond milk (or you could use 2% or skim milk)
3/4 cup finely chopped Gala apple (1 medium apple)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (to toss the apple in)
STREUSEL:
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, chilled
2 tablespoons chopped almonds
GLAZE:
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tsp almond milk
1 tsp amaretto
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Place muffin cup liners in 12 muffin cups then spray with baking spray.
3. Weigh or lightly spoon 1 1/2 cup flour into dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine granulated sugar, cream cheese, and 1/4 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until well blended. Add amaretto, vanilla, and egg to sugar mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Combine Greek yogurt and 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until well blended. Combine apple and 1 tablespoon flour in a small bowl; toss well.
4. Add flour mixture and Greek yogurt mixture alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat just until blended. Fold in apple mixture. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
5. To prepare the streusel, combine 2 tablespoons flour, brown sugar, and ground cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse meal; stir in almonds. Sprinkle streusel evenly over muffins. Bake at 350° for 27 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes on a wire rack, and remove from pan.
6. Glaze, combine powdered sugar, milk and amaretto in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle glaze over muffins.

Had a rough day in the classroom? Have a kid who needs to safely get our aggression? Let them use your chopper and whack the who ha out of the almonds. LOL
Please be sure to visit the other ladies who are also honoring our over worked under paid teachers:
http://www.bakinginatornado.com/2016/05/blog-with-friends-summer-orzo-salad.html
http://www.clutteredgenius.com/what-teachers-really-appreciate/
http://southernbellecharm.com/dollar-store-wind-chimes/
The Do's and Don'ts of Teacher Appreciation Gifts

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

4 comments:

  1. If I didn't know any better I'd think you had me in mind when you made these. I may not be a teacher, but I love apples, I love almonds, I love amaretto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious. And bonus - I can have alcohol now! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any teacher would love this gift. Yum!

    ReplyDelete