Monday, March 28, 2016

Hit and Run! Pineapple Upside Down Bundt

Hoover aka Potato May or Travi, asked me one day if I had ever made a pineapple upside down cake. I said of course and from scratch. I showed him  THIS POST
He said "Dawn it's my favorite, you need to make me one."
He REALLY liked it, gone in 7 bites! That's a teenage boy for ya, not even sure he knew what it tasted like that fast but he said it was good.
I saw a photo on Facebook of a bundt version and said OH YES he will love this. I have also in the past made individual cakes/cupcakes with the pineapple in the bottom and a cherry of course. But when you do that, you need to be careful and not over bake them. I hate dry crumbly cake my preference is moist. No one wants to have to drink a glass of milk, water, tea or coffee with each bite. Yuck

Now let me say this, when I hear the word "bundt" I can not help myself...I hear the Mom of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" going, "butt, bun, budntttt? OH it's a cake"  It cracks me up!
Okay, back on track to the recipe.
You can use my homemade recipe for the cake portion or purchase a cake mix. When I purchase a cake mix, I prefer the pineapple supreme mix from Duncan Hines. No this is not a paid advertisement or endorsement, just my preferred brand for this type of cake.
Tip number 1 when using a cake mix that calls for water, drain the pineapple and use the juice in place of the water, it will add flavor and no waste. I'm frugal.
Tip number 2 if the box calls for butter or eggs, make sure they are at room temperature, this will eliminate the butter lumping up in the mix. 
Tip number 3 I also beat my eggs with the water, oil and whatever other liquid is called for, then add it all in at once. The blending process is smoother this way.
Due to this being a spur of the moment idea, I decided to use a box mix this time. I purchased the pineapple supreme mix, pineapple rings and a jar of cherries. I cut the rings in half and once the batter was mixed, I sprayed my bundt pan with baking spray. I placed a cherry in one curve and a slice in the next until I had gone around the circle. In order to get the slices to stand I had to pour some of the batter over the cherries and then place the rings. It worked wonderfully. Then pouring the remaining batter over the rings, I shook the pan slightly to eliminate bubbles and air pockets. Next it went into the oven. I followed the baking time on the box and well there you have it. I considering making a glaze to drizzle over the top but decided not to. Next time I think I will. Potato May loved it! The cake was gone in just a few days. It was his breakfast, after school snack and dessert.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious and the bundt version is so pretty. I love your suggestion to use the pineapple juice in place of water, I bet that makes a big difference in the flavor.

    ReplyDelete