Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Swiss Chocolate Cake with Coffee Vanilla Almond Frosting AND June Poetry - Fatherhood

Hey y'all, how's it going? June is flying by at record speed. Our busy season at work has hit and I work so many hours I'm meeting myself coming and going! Does that ever happen to you?
When I'm stressed, worried or exhausted for some reason, I want cake. I guess it is comfort food and in my mind it makes me feel better. This one did!
It is a no brainer really. I just added a few ingredients to some store bought items and BAM! Cake 😍
I decided to share this one today because of our poetry theme...Fatherhood. As some of you know my Daddy passed away 4 years ago on the 2nd of this month. Father's Day is coming up and of course my mind goes to him, as it does most days to be honest. Yes, I was, am and always be a Daddy's girl.
One of his favorite things was ... chocolate! He loved chocolate in any form he could get it. Now he wasn't a fan of coffee until his later years but he loved cake and I'm pretty sure he would have liked this one. Even if he didn't he would have eaten it and told me it was wonderful. Why? Because my Daddy loved me, no doubt in my mind and he would have eaten mud if I offered it.


So in honor of Fatherhood, we have a group of bloggers offering up poetry, check out the links at the end of the post and I have this cake. The poem might not be the best, but hey, I never claimed to the be next poet laureate. 

Duncan Hines Swiss chocolate cake mix
prepare according to package, mine is made in a 13 x 9
Allow to cool.
1 can of store brand creamy white frosting
2 TBSP powder fine coffee, your choice of brand
Mix the coffee in the frosting. Cover the cake and top with sliced almonds.
whipped topping, optional
chocolate syrup, optional
See, super simple! But man was it good!!

My Boys Are Dads
My boys are Dads
How did this happen?
Just yesterday they were little boys
running around playing games
throwing mud and skipping stones.
Today they are grown
with families of their own.
Somehow my boys became Dads.
They went from legos and Zelda
to dates and cars.
From paint ball fights
to late college nights
to working two jobs.
Finding a girl
to making her his wife.
Getting married
moving away
having babies
and making mom sad.
We all grow up
we all move away
we all grow old
we all can't stay.
I'm not sure how it happened
BUT
My Boys Became Dads!
They are mature men
with wives and responsibilities.
Little ones who look to them for guidance.
Reading bedtime stories
instead of being read to.
Tying shoes and wiping noses
instead of having skinned up knees themselves.
Making a budget and paying bills
instead of asking for allowance.
Somehow when I wasn't looking,
My Boys Became Dads.
So if your kids are small
hold them now
before they are too tall.
They will look down on you and smile
and say
look mom...
now I"m a Dad.

4 comments:

  1. You outdid yourself this month, both in the poem and the recipe. I'm a chocolate lover just like your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just holding my 4 year old today, and as he snuggled I thought, "He won't want to do this in another few years." <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes cake is my go to food when strikes, and also rice krispie bars, brownies, chocolate, peanut m&M's, occasionally licorice, but I heard that's what single women eat so I tried cutting that habit lol, and then there's fruit snacks, popcorn, list goes on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! I love this poem! Great job! So, about this cake.... wow. This looks amazing! Definitely adding this to my list of things to make! YUM YUM YUM! Fantastic job with your poem! <3 Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete