Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Sweet Chili Pistachio Toffe and Tis' the Season for Giving: Poetry

Tis' the season for giving, the Christmas season. In years past I have spent endless hours baking, mixing, and creating goodies to give friends and family. Last year I did not or was not able, nor did I the year before. BUT...this year I've already started. Oh yes, two days after returning from my Texas trip I started coming up with ideas. This is one of those ideas. It turned out great! 
I made a small batch for a tester and it was such a big hit that I will be making several big batches. All you'll need to do is double the recipe.
You could use whatever type of nut you wanted or none at all. I thought I had purchased regular pistachios but upon taking them out of the bag at home I realized they were "sweet chili" and thought oh yes, this will make the recipe "kick". I love the sweet and spicy combo almost as much as sweet and salty.
Sweet Chili Pistachio Toffee
1 sleeve of honey graham crackers
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
Cook on medium heat in a non stick sauce pan and stir constantly. Simmer about 20 minutes or until it thickens and turns a beautiful golden brown/tan toffee color. In a 8x8 pan, spray with a baking spray and lay a single layer of graham crackers down. Pour the mixture on top and sprinkle with mini chocolate chip morsels, they will melt, spread and sprinkle cracked pistachios on top. Set in the freezer for 15 minutes and then break into pieces. Store in an air tight container. ENJOY
This post is part of the monthly poetry group posting. Be sure to scroll down and visit all the other participating bloggers. 

Tis the season for giving
I don't really need a reason.
To give is greater than receiving,
to see a smile on the faces
of those I care for is a blessing.
Toys for toddlers,
music for teens,
gift cards for the hard ones in between.
Sweets and treats to young and old,
cards sent out to family abroad.
Kisses under the mistletoe,
hot cocoa by the fire.
Decorating the tree,
hanging stockings with care,
in hopes that Old Saint Nick
might still care!
Happy Holidays
Merry Christmas
Happy Hanukkah
whatever you want
be kind and loving
peace on Earth
the giving spirit
THAT is what I'd like to have.

G - gifts
I - in abundance
V - vibrant colored lights
I - incense, frankincense and mirth
N - Noel
G - Good tidings of cheer
The Esscence of Giving   Karen of Baking In A Tornado
Giving Wrapped  Diane of On The Border
Giving And More Giving Lydia of Clutter Genius

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I can see Christmas through your eyes! And I must try that toffee. We are a bunch of pistachio nuts here. Pun intended . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Two incredible poems AND a kick a$$ recipe! Sometimes we buy the wrong thing and genius ensues!

    ReplyDelete