Monday, September 12, 2016

Spicy Fried Chicken: Grandparents #BlogWithFriends

This month for Blog With Friends we chose Grandparents as our theme. Perfect I am one, ten times. But today is bitter sweet. Today would have been my Daddy's 70th birthday. Now as for my grandchildren, my Daddy only saw one of them in person.

 How did that happen you ask? Well, my oldest two kids are adopted and my Dad actually only met them when they were teens not grown with kids due to distance and his health. My from my biological kids, only LMSP was born before he passed.

 So, see today is bitter sweet in yet another way. My youngest son became a dad in February and I have yet to get my hands on this precious little girl. So I am happy and blessed to have 10 but really wishing I could see them all, love them and tell them all about my Daddy, their Granddaddy. He loved little kids, he loved to watch them play and make them laugh. LMSP loved her Granddaddy and she made him smile everyday when he saw her. This is one of my favorite photos, we were visiting him at the rehab center. This photo was less than six months before he passed away.
I grew up with one set of grandparents. My mom's parents. My Daddy's parents both passed away, his mom when he was 11 and his dad when I was 3. However, from all my understandings I was better off without his dad. The entire town will tell you what a mean hateful man he was. No one seems to remember his mom but his siblings of course sing her praises. His mom was a nurse and had cancer, she did not tell anyone and had no treatments. These things made an impact on who my dad became.

My mom's parents were simple country folks. I loved my granddaddy dearly and miss him to this day. Granddaddy was a gentle soul. I never heard him raise his voice, never saw him mad and never head him say anything negative, at all. He had ice blue eyes and snow white hair. He chewed tobacco, watched wrestling and loved Dolly Parton. Funny the things we remember. He also hated chicken. He grew up on a chicken farm and once he was grown and had his own farm he refused to eat a chicken again. After he passed my grandmother's health declined and her spirit as well. I have fond memories of her when I was little.

My kids grew up with my parents. Their father's parents lived over 9 hours away and he was estranged from them. 

I see photos online, Facebook mostly, of friends and their children, grandchildren, parents and grandparents enjoying the holidays, baking, cooking together or making projects. I'm envious sometimes. It is what I always wanted for myself and for my kids. It never happened. My mom does things with LMSP but she is the only grandchild close by. The rest live 3-28 hours away.

Family is very important to me. I miss the days of being little and going to my grandparents house for every special occasion. Birthdays, holidays, anniversaries and any reason to cook and eat together as a family. So in honor of those days I'm sharing a special recipe with you today.

My spicy fried chicken. My grandmother made WONDERFUL fried chicken and so does my mother. This one is something they wouldn't eat, due to the spice but I love it and my kids LOVE spicy as well. Hope you enjoy it!

Granddaddy would not eat chicken but Grandmama could fry up some delicious chicken. My Daddy LOVED fried chicken and so do my kids. THIS makes happy tummies!

Spicy Fried Chicken
I used Texas Pete to soak the chicken. Next:
Sprinkle with onion powder, chili powder, paprika, ground white pepper , ground black pepper and sea salt.
Coat in flour. Fry. That simple. Drain on paper towels and enjoy!


Be sure to pop over to see what everyone did. I am sure there are some great projects and recipes for you.


3 comments:

  1. Families are complicated, but your love shines through. Hope you get your hands on that new granddaughter soon! Love this recipe, and that you add a kick to your fried chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. never thought of soaking in Texas Pete's but you are a NC girl and I'm learning.
    Hope you get to see her soon! Love being close to mine now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I"m not a fan of "bone chicken" as we call it in our house, but my husband and the kids all love it. Lucky for them, my husband is the fryer of things, so they still get their way!

    ReplyDelete