Friday, August 5, 2016

Pepper Jack Stuffed Arancini - August SSS

As I sat looking over old photos from when I lived in Europe, I was thinking about Potato May and his upcoming trip. Which is now over, but at the time it was upcoming. For graduation he went on a 10 day tour to Europe. London, Paris and Barcelona to be exact. MAN I would have loved to have gone.
So anyway, thinking about the trip and discussing areas of interest, he talked about food. It was funny, the girls were talking shopping, sight seeing, photography and Potato May was thinking FOOD. Just like a man!

When I was in Italy, one of the street foods was arancini, or fried rice balls. I thought about those for about a week. I would have made them earlier but these guys LOVE rice and so there is never any leftover. I even considered making rice for the purpose of making arancini but figured that was frivolous.

Having fixed cube steak, rice and gravy one night, there was actually leftover rice! YAY and I was off work the next morning. Now was my chance. Crazy thing, at 8 o'clock in the morning, I was making fried rice balls stuffed with pepper jack cheese! and man were they ever good!
In Italy they stuff them with meat, peas and tomatoes but I thought cheese would be great and it did not disappoint.
This recipe goes perfect with this month's SSS, Tamara gave me a British term and well, Potato May went to London, Paris and Barcelona. So yeah, you see the fit right? haha
To make this recipe I used what I had, leftovers. Cold sticky rice and a few slices of pepper jack cheese.

Flour
beaten eggs
seasoned bread crumbs
1-2 cups leftover cold rice
4 slices of pepper jack cheese

Three small bowls, one for the egg, flour and bread crumbs. I took the cold rice and wet my hands, formed a half circle in my hand, placed the cheese and then added rice on top, squeezed to form a ball. Then pressed it together tightly. Rolled it in flour, egg and then bread crumbs. Dropped the ball ever so slightly into a small sauce pan with hot oil. Cooked until golden brown, which takes only a few seconds really, turned it over and drained on a paper towel. You could dip these in a marinara or a cheese sauce. I ate them just like they were. Delicious!

Welcome to a Secret Subject Swap. This week 13 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts.

In for a penny, in for a pound.
It was submitted by: http://thethreegerbers.blogspot.ch/   

Well, Tamara sure threw me with this one! I had to look it up on urbandictionary.com
Here is what it said: 
"If you're going to take a risk at all, you might as well make it a big risk." 

From an old British expression (thus "pound" instead of "dollar"); the original reference was probably to theft (though this is not certain), saying that being arrested ("taken in") for stealing a small amount is just as bad as for a large amount, so you may as well steal a lot and hope to get away with it. 

An equivalent expression is, "As well hanged for a sheep as a lamb", where it's implied that you are stealing the animal. If the punishment for failure is the same, you may as well try for the largest possible reward. 

The phrase is often misused with reference to a punishment that is out of proportion to a crime, but this is not the actual meaning.
"I could get fired just for talking to you. Well... in for a penny, in for a pound! Come on in."
This is what you call an idiom definition: a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words (e.g., rain cats and dogssee the light )

See, you're never too old to learn something new. I had no idea what this meant but now I'm enlightened. I'm guessing I've been "in for a penny in for a pound" in relationships where I should have been debt free.

Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts.  Sit back, grab a cup, and check them all out. See you there:

Baking In A Tornado                    http://www.BakingInATornado.com                         
The Bergham Chronicles            http://berghamchronicles.blogspot.com  
Dinosaur Superhero Mommy        http://dinoheromommy.com/
The Diary of an Alzheimer’s Caregiver
Southern Belle Charm                http://www.southernbellecharm.com  
Confessions of a part time working mom   http://thethreegerbers.blogspot.ch/
Sparkly Poetic Weirdo                 http://sparklyjenn.blogspot.com/  
The Lieber Family Blog                 http://thelieberfamily.com
Never Ever Give Up Hope                http://batteredhope.blogspot.com
When I Grow Up                         http://kimberlyyavorski.com/whenigrowup/
Climaxed                                     http://climaxedtheblog.blogspot.com     
Evil Joy Speaks                              http://www.eviljoyspeaks.wordpress.com     

9 comments:

  1. My hairdresser who is Italian (Sicilian even) always tells me about her family's yummy arancini recipe.
    I had no idea the expression was exclusively British, even though the money reference is kind of obvious. I like to think "in for a penny, in for a pound" also has a positive meaning, like if you're going to let your hair down, make it great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love learning something new, don't you?
    And oh how I MUST try these Arancini!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would have been a hard one! You did awesome though. I've always wanted to travel abroad, but so far I haven't made it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My uncle tried a rice ball when we took a ferry in Italy. After the look on his face, I said no thank you! Your recipe looks good though. Maybe I'll rethink it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had rice balls before, but these looks amazing. There's never leftover rice in my house, but I've been known to make some just for a similar recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet mother of yum. You and Karen are KILLING me this week. I want to make a meal of your posts. Mmmmmmmm.

    Yes! I actually love this phrase. My dear friend Andy (from London) says it. I do believe that if you're going to give something to anything, you should do it whole heartedly. Otherwise, just don't. If you're going to put a penny in, might as well do the entire pound. I to have spent pounds, where I shouldn't even have spent a pound.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In for a penny, in for a pound. I had never heard that expression before and I LIKE it. But then, that is how I view life -- all the way! or not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In for a penny, in for a pound. I had never heard that expression before and I LIKE it. But then, that is how I view life -- all the way! or not at all.

    ReplyDelete