Monday, June 20, 2016

The Wackiest Chocolate Cake Ever #CIC

Hey everybody, sorry I've been MIA for the CIC  but life has been crazy. I hope this post makes it up in time, as I am preparing this less than 4 hours from posting. Nothing like cutting it close!

This month for the Crazy Ingredient Challenge our ingredients are Blueberries AND Spinach! Now for me, I use those two thing in smoothies ALL the time and in salads but I need to 'challenge' myself. My thought was, I can use black beans in brownies so why not blueberries in chocolate cake? Sounds totally logical right?

W is not a big fan of chocolate and if he finds out there are blueberries and spinach in it, NO WAY he will eat it.

A handful of spinach, I buy organic baby spinach and freeze it to put in my smoothies. So I grabbed a handful out of the freezer.

1/2 cup fresh blueberries (they are in season here right now and the Blueberry festival is this weekend!)
3 TBSP dark chocolate baking cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
5 TBSP oil
1 cup water

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8 x 8 baking dish. Mix your dry ingredients together and pour into the pan. Now add your wet ingredients. Mix well. Lastly stir in your spinach and blueberry puree. Bake for 35 minutes.

Frosting
4 oz cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup baking cocoa
Add all ingredients into a bowl and whip until creamy. Spread on cooled cake.
Be sure to visit all the other talented bloggers!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 comments:

  1. Glad that you were able to participate this month, Dawn! That cake looks amazing! I'd definitely love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I never would have thought to hide the blueberries too. I should have, because my husband wouldn't touch the muffins I made because of the berries. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete