Friday, June 3, 2016

Slow Cooker Orange Chicken and SSS

I am taking a cake break today and sharing a healthy meal with you. Now don't fret...another cake will be posted on Monday and again Wednesday. So much for going sugar free. I have found that W and Potato May LOVE cake, as long as it is not chocolate. So I'm seriously experimenting with flavors and I have been on a roll I kid you not! These cakes have been FAN FREAKIN TASTIC!!
But for today... here's a great chicken recipe for a busy week night and a great way to NOT heat up the kitchen.

Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup BBQ sauce, your favorite (I used Jack Daniels No.7 Original Recipe)
12 small boneless skinless chicken thighs
Turn the slow cooker on low, add the chicken, pour the two sauces into a bowl and mix well, then pour on top. Place the lid on and leave for 6 hours. When you come home, shred the chicken, this will be super easy as it is done and tender. Serve over rice with some steamed veggies in a bowl. As I did or however you choose.
Sorry this is the only photo as the guys scarfed this up way too quickly. A hit!

Welcome to a Secret Subject Swap. This week 12 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts. 

Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts.  Sit back, grab a cup, and check them all out. See you there:
Baking In A Tornado                        http://www.BakingInATornado.com                         
Southern Belle Charm                      http://www.southernbellecharm.com                       
Not That Sarah Michelle                   http://notthatsarahmichelle.blogspot.com                   
The Bergham Chronicles                  http://berghamchronicles.blogspot.com/             
The Diary of an Alzheimer’s Caregiver   
 http://www.thediaryofanalzheimerscaregiver.com/blog.html
Dinosaur Superhero Mommy             http://dinoheromommy.com/                           
My Brain on Kids                              http://mybrainonkids.net
The Lieber Family Blog                     http://thelieberfamily.com
The Angrivated Mom                        http://www.angrivatedmom.wordpress.com
Confessions of a part time working mom      
  http://thethreegerbers.blogspot.ch/
Climaxed                                         http://climaxedtheblog.blogspot.com          
Your “Secret Subject” is:
June! The weather warms up. Schools let out. Vacations loom on the horizon. What are your favorite and least favorite things about summer?
It was submitted by: http://thelieberfamily.com  .

Well what great timing. Potato May is graduating on June 11th but due to being a senior and finals, he is out today and does not return after Tuesday. So some of my favorite and least favorite things are the same. I love summer, beach time, flip flop season, school gets out, graduations happen, kids leave for college, vacations are on the horizon and we  I eat more fruit and salads. We grill more so the food is healthier and the kitchen is cleaner.

Now the least favorite: it's summer and HOT along with HUMID, beach time and it is crowded (I don't do crowds), graduation so the kids are growing up, leaving for college means I have an empty nest again, flip flop season but not at work BOO! Grilling...I MUST remember to take something out of the freezer or stop at the store.

Potato May is graduating and leaving for Jersey. I am proud of him, excited for him and sad at the same time. I will miss this kid. There will be no one around to eat leftovers, when we have them. No one to do the dishes for me when I'm tired. Less laundry to do! WOO HOO but no one to shop with me, talk about music, clothes, movies and just talk. The kid loves to talk and we get along like old girlfriends sometimes instead of teenager and step mom. I will miss him, but I'm excited to see him grow, mature and follow his dream.

I'm looking forward to meeting my new granddaughter, hopefully in September. I know that's not summer but when the summer comes to a close I will be on my way!

Summer time is my birthday! And my oldest son's birthday as well. Mine is the 8th and his the 9th. It is also the anniversary of my youngest son and his bride. They just celebrated 3 years on June 1st. But sadly on June 2nd it was the 3rd anniversary of my Daddy passing. So summer has good and bad for me as you can tell. I am writing this on the 2nd and I have shed many tears but I have also have some wonderful memories flow through the crevices of my gray matter.

I put this SSS to bed now and look forward to reading what the others shared. Be sure to check out the links, they are listed above.
Blessings!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

11 comments:

  1. I am with you on hot and humid. Not my comfort climate!
    Defnitely mixed feelings about your son's leaving. If you need somebody to help you finish this orange chicken and chat, I'll be over! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious. Yeah he has loved my cooking that is for sure and now I have to learn to cook for 2 again.

      Delete
  2. First: that chicken sounds absolutely amazing.
    Second: Oh, how you're going to miss that kid and how much he enjoys your cooking and baking.
    And third: YAY for flip flops but I can't tell you how jealous I am that you can even get to a beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was great, he will be missed and I'll have leftovers, which are a strange alien thing I hear others refer to! Girl we are on the water. My front door is 2300 ft from the river and our town is water front. The beach, depending on which one is 20-40 minutes away. THAT I love!

      Delete
  3. By the end of the school year, I'm so done with it all, beyond ready for a summer of no homework, packing snacks/lunches, signing agendas, getting up at the crack ass of dawn. Then about a week in, after hearing "I'm bored" for the ten thousandth time, I'm ready for school again :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL they won't be little forever so enjoy. All mine are grown and now after only 18 months I'm loosing my step son to adulthood.
      When the "I'm bored" starts, hand them a chore list, make them pull weeds in the hard, scrub the toilet with a toothbrush, this stopped mine EVERY time! Once the "Mom I'm b..." and I'd look at them and say "you're what" they would say never mind and occupy themselves. :D :D :D

      Delete
  4. I've been craving some Orange Chicken so will use this recipe!
    So many things about summer.
    So sorry about your Daddy, some things we are never the same after they happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I"m sorry about your father. I lost mine when I was 15 and 31 years later it still sucks. My nest is empty too and while there are some aspects that are good like the grocery bill others not so much. I miss when my kids were home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't do the humidity. It kills me. I am so sorry that you still feel so much pain over your father's passing. I'm sure the mixed feelings about your son only complicated things worse. Hope your spirits are lifting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That chicken looks yummy! I'll have to give it a try! I love summertime. I still work full time but things are more relaxed than normal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that slow cooker orange chicken looks divine!!!

    HATE the heat and humidity, but LOVE the time off and time spent with AJ

    CONGRATS to Potato May and woohoo to seeing your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete