Monday, June 6, 2016

Amaretto and Coke Chocolate Wacky Cake for Dad #BlogWithFriends

Today's post is part of the monthly #BlogWithFriends and each month we choose a theme. With Father's Day being in June, this year it is the 19th so you have time, we are using the theme "Dad".
Be sure to check out my story, my recipe and the other participating bloggers contributions, the links are below.

Dad, Father, Pop, Pa, Daddy, or whatever you call him be sure to say I love you and Happy Father's Day this year. On this day 3 years ago we laid my Daddy's body to rest. He left this world on June 2, 2013. I miss him every single day and as I sit here thinking about him now and writing the tears flow down my cheeks unchecked. I love my Daddy and always will. He was my hero, he made me laugh until I cried, he always had my back. So with him in mind I created this little cake.
Daddy wasn't big on alcohol unless it was beer. He did love his beer and at one time we did not love him or his beer. He drank a little too much and became a different person. We were overjoyed the day he stopped. I choose not to dwell on those days but think of happier times. Times like watching TV with my dad. He loved cartoons, real cartoons like Bugs Bunny, Foghorn Leghorn, Roadrunner, Donald Duck and he loved stupid stuff like The Three Stooges. The last I was not a fan of but I would laugh until my sides hurt and tears were pouring down my face. Why you ask, because he was laughing and his laugh was totally infectious, once he got to going you would bust a gut laughing too, even if it was not funny. I could be mad at him, seething mad, and if he started laughing I could not help myself. W is very much the same way. He has the greatest laugh and when he gets tickled at something and starts laughing I will laugh until I hurt even when I don't know why I'm laughing.
My Daddy's favorite foods were fried chicken, collards, runny eggs with grits, he loved to make HOT fish stew. He ate things like pickled eggs, peanutbutter banana and mayo sandwiches. He enjoyed food with gusto but he LOVED yes LOVED sweets and if it was chocolate he loved it even more. I remember when I was little he would say "A snickers a day keeps the doctor away" so when he was diagnosed with diabetes at the young age of 39 he was very upset. He still enjoyed his sweets just not as often as he wanted.
When I made this cake, chocolate for Daddy, I tossed in the amaretto and decided to use Diet Coke instead of water. Daddy loved his Diet Coke, as does W. More similarities. There are a host of similarities but I'll save that for another post.
This cake requires NO eggs, butter or milk. Now I did decide to make a homemade buttercream frosting, but you could use a can frosting if you wanted to keep it dairy free. The cake is not overly sweet so the sweet creaminess of the frosting doesn't make it an overload explosion of sugar in your mouth. W is not a big chocolate fan but he ate this cake with gusto and it made me very happy.
I have made several of these Wacky cakes in the past: Orange , Orange Chocolate Coconut Rum,  Everything Tropical , Chocolate.

So Daddy, here's to you, my Daddy, my friend, my hero, my heart. I love you forever and miss you every single stinking day but I know you are at rest, no more pain and I would not want you here in the shape you were in even as much as it hurts to have you gone. So until we are reunited on the streets of glory, here's a slice of cake to you! Happy Father's Day ,<3

Amaretto and Coke Chocolate Wacky Cake
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
3 TBSP baking cocoa (I used NuNaturals Dutch Cocoa)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp white vinegar 
5 TBSP vegetable oil
3/4 cup Diet Coke
1/4 cup Amaretto
In a square casserole dish, spray with baking spray. Now pour in your flour, cocoa, sugar, and stir well. Make 3 wells or holes. In one small one place your salt, in another your vinegar and the last baking soda.Pour the oil and Amaretto over the cake and then the coke. Stir well and spread flat. Slide into the oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Don't over bake.
Homemade Buttercream Frosting
1-1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 stick room temperature softened UNSALTED butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
Mix well with a blender, whisk or by hand. Spread on your cooled cake and enjoy!

Here are the other links:
http://www.bakinginatornado.com/2016/06/blog-with-friends-pretzel-sandwich.html

http://www.clutteredgenius.com/gifts-dad-preschoolers/

 http://notthatsarahmichelle.blogspot.com/2016/06/my-husband-tribute.html

 http://www.thelieberfamily.com/2016/06/manly-wind-chimes.html
http://www.homeonderanged.com/help-dad-take-timeout-fathers-day

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

6 comments:

  1. Aw, what a great way to honor him with a favorite. :) Posting so I don't lose it for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me cry, this is my first Father's Day without my dad and I know that you just never stop missing them.
    Love how simple this wacky cake is. And the lack of bowls to clean is an added plus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you cried. I did the whole time I was typing but not gut wrenching tears. A mixture of happy and sad.
      I love wacky cakes, just a few ingredients and so easy to change up the flavors.

      Delete
  3. So much frosting I have googly eyes! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how easy this is to make! Yum!

    ReplyDelete