Friday, April 8, 2016

Bacon BBQ Chicken Swirls and SSS

Welcome to this month's SSS or Secret Subject Swap. Just one of many writing challenges that I participate in each month. The swap is fun because no one knows whose prompt you have until the day we post. I have no idea who received the prompt I wrote until I visit the other bloggers. It is always interesting to see what prompts were written and what type of spin the blogger took with it.

During these challenges I also try to include a new recipe. Today's recipe is simple, delicious and can be an appetizer, snack, lunch or a simple supper with a salad.

It also uses up leftovers, so it is frugal. Those are two of my favorite things!
I purchased the roll of crescent dough, then topped it with leftover rotisserie chicken, my favorite bbq sauce and shredded cheddar cheese. Rolled it up and put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes. This helped in the slicing so as not to mush it all. Sliced it up and baked for 10-12 minutes. These were fabulous hot and just as good cold as a snack the next day.
Welcome to a Secret Subject Swap. This week 14 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts. 

One evening after work I ventured downtown and found myself parked at my favorite spot. By the water. I guess it is the calming effect that draws me here but whenever life is stressful, overwhelming or I'm feeling extremely vulnerable I find myself at the water. This particular evening was no different.
As I got out of my car and started along the path I saw many couples hand in hand, children laughing, running and chasing the ducks. In no mood to be around all this "family love" and feeling sorry for myself I ventured down the side path.
Not really sure where it led as I had not been this particular way before.
It was nearing dusk when I rounded the corner. There was this poor bent over elderly man in tattered clothing looking very forlorn. My heart when out to him, he looked like I felt. As I passed him I smiled and said hi.
He held up his hand and said "Excuse me Miss, I hate to be a bother you but do you think you could do this feeble old man a favor? It would mean the world to me?"
Not sure what he was going to ask, I was hesitant. I figured he was begging for money or food however something in his eyes made me stop and say, "If I can help, sure what is it?"
He smiled so slightly and said "I know it's odd but would you take a seat on the bench over here and tell this old man a story? It could be from your life, a book, a fairy tale, anything to take me mentally away from this place for a few moments?"
This was an odd request but what would it hurt? I shrugged and motioned toward the bench. We walked over and sat down.
I sat for a moment trying to think of a cheery story, something to brighten the old guys heart. I cleared my throat and began.
Once there was a young girl who lived a lonely life, she wanted nothing more than to be loved. As time went on and she grew she searched for love in all the wrong places. She married young to get away from home and honestly at the time thought she was "in love." Over time of course this proved to be disastrous. Her husband cheated, was a drunk and beat her. She found her strength one day because she had been visiting a local church. At this church she was told that she was worthy. Worthy of love, worthy of kindness, worthy because God loved her more than anyone else. She felt stronger inside and was able to stand up to her husband and leave. This was no easy feat but she did it. She went back to school, got an education, met and feel in love with a wonderful man. They married and had 3 beautiful children together. Her life was perfect and she forgot her need of God. Then all too suddenly her world crashed. He was a doctor and was drafted in the war, he never returned. She received a knock on the door and a letter of regret from the President that her love was gone.
I stopped and took a deep breath. I looked over and the old man was sitting still as a statue, staring at me with tears in his eyes.
I swallowed hard and began again. "At the funeral and for weeks afterward she tried hard as she might but just could not shake this despair that she felt. Her children felt it, her friends saw it. One day sitting alone in her room, she fell on her face on the carpet and screamed "I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE" and that is when she felt the peace. the peace that passes all understanding and God spoke to her in that moment, in a still tiny voice and said "No you can't, but I can, come to me my child". She cried, she bawled, she felt relief and she began to take her life back and rely on the only ONE who could help her through this struggle.
No her life wasn't perfect, no her husband didn't return, but God gave her life and HE gave it to her abundantly. She came out of her shell, she began to thrive and not just survive. For you see, none of us were meant to go it alone so if you're lonely reach out to someone, pray and ask for guidance.
I stopped and looked at him, He smiled and said "if you can tell me this wonderful story about God's love, why are you here walking alone and so down cast my child?
I drew in a breath, he was right, why indeed? Because I had let life overwhelm me again. I looked up to thank the old man but he was gone and beside me on the bench was a white dove. I began to cry and the dove flew away. I sat for a few more minutes shocked to my core but as I unsteadily got to my feet I knew once again I'd be okay.
My walk back to my car was with a spring in my step and a new resolve in my soul.
~ Be Blessed~ Dawn


Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts.  Sit back, grab a cup, and check them all out. See you there:
http://www.southernbellecharm.com                        Southern Belle Charm
http://www.angrivatedmom.wordpress.com                The Angrivated Mom
http://berghamchronicles.blogspot.com/              The Bergham Chronicles
http://www.thediaryofanalzheimerscaregiver.com/   The Diary of an Alzheimer’s Caregiver
http://mybrainonkids.net                                 My Brain on Kids
http://batteredhope.blogspot.com                   Never Ever Give Up Hope
http://climaxedtheblog.blogspot.com                  Climaxed

My prompt was:
On a rare near-dusk walk, you meet an older gentleman dressed in rags. he stops you and asks if you will please tell him a story, maybe a fairy tale, that will make his heart less black. What do you do? What story do you tell?
It was submitted by: http://climaxedtheblog.blogspot.com      
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

17 comments:

  1. Your story gave me the chills. We all need to find what gives us peace. Sometimes we forget that.
    And your swirls look SO good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it and yes, the swirls were fabulous. I love them, Travis loved them and poor Wade didn't get any.

      Delete
  2. Not a believer myself but this was still beautiful. thank you for sharing ❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was beautiful. Even though, I too am not religious, it was still a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rena, I don't consider myself religious either. I believe in God and the bible and a personal relationship.
      I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

      Delete
  4. I'm not religious either, but I appreciated the story. It was well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin. As I told Rena, I'm not religious, it's about a relationship to me.
      I take that as a huge compliment if you think it was well written. :)

      Delete
  5. Whoa, at first it sounded like your personal story, but then I was like "What? They got married? When did that happen? And why wasn't I invited?" Hahaha :-)
    OK, so this man on the bench - was he God? Or at the very least sent by Him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, no personal story but similar to a dear friend of mine. Many years ago, she and her husband had the perfect love story and he was killed in Afghanistan. It broke all our hearts.
      Oh girl...WHEN I get married, you will know!
      Maybe he was God, maybe he was an angel, I think it is open to interpretation.

      Delete
  6. What a great perspective on life. And isn't it funny how sometimes we already know the answers we need, we just can't recognize them within ourselves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes when I'm giving a friend advise I think *palm plant to the forehead* I NEED this info, dang.

      Delete
    2. Sometimes when I'm giving a friend advise I think *palm plant to the forehead* I NEED this info, dang.

      Delete
  7. The message in this story goes a lot deeper and I appreciate you sharing it. Very well done and it especially touched my heart today. I got devastating news yesterday and had to spend the day putting things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sorry Carol. My thoughts and prayers for you.
      Now about the story, thank you, I take that as a great compliment coming from a published author.

      Delete
  8. Looks really tasty! Found you from Sinea's party. I definitely want to make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! You'll love these I promise.

      Delete