Monday, February 29, 2016

IKEA an Idea...Chocolate Oat Ball Cake

My friend Tamara from Confessions of a Part Time working mom came up with the idea of doing an IKEA post. She lives in Switzerland and so this is in her neighborhood. I myself have never been to one or seen one but have friends that have. So I reached out to them for help. One in particular. I made a questionnaire and emailed it to her. Unfortunately things happen and she was unable to get it done. So I do know that she shops there, it is a 4 hour drive for her, that she has gone by herself, with girlfriends and with her entire family. That means hubby and 4 kids! I also know they ALWAYS get the meatballs.??? Yeah I said meatballs, at a furniture store? Yep that's what they tell me.
I also did some research on IKEA. Seems they are famous for several things, furniture, meatballs and sweets. The "cousin" to their famous meatballs are the oat balls. Here is a photo I found online.
My version!!
So you know, since I am a choco-holic and love sweets. THIS would be what would spark my interest and gears a grinding for a new recipe.
So I searched around and found several recipes for the oat balls and then did my own version. That just wasn't good enough. How about an oat ball cake??
Oh yeah I did!
I also learned that Swiss children make these as young as 5 years old, it's a tradition. Very cool. No baking required. Very simple recipe and I can see how kids would enjoy it since you roll the "dough" around in your hands to make balls.

IKEA has been around for over 70 years depending on what country you live in.
IKEA turned 30 in the U.S. last year. 42 in Switzerland, 72 in Sweden....you get the picture.
Speaking of pictures...this is the photo that sparked the idea.
I had forgotten but about 7 years ago a dear friend gave me a cabinet. He was going to toss it out and I liked it. He said "here, take it, it's IKEA" I didn't know what that meant and just said okay thank you. LOL so here I am years later writing a post about IKEA. This cabinet has served me well. It has been in the bathroom, office, craft room and kitchen. Depending on where I was living at the time. I have learned that it is sold as a "bathroom cabinet" go figure.
The recipe is not very difficult, you can make the oat balls and not the cake but why? LOL however, I can say I WILL be making the oat balls again. They were very good and big hit. Hoover, who swears he doesn't like chocolate loved them and W ate them as well. He's not a big candy, cake, sweets eater but he really liked the oat balls.
Chocolate Oat Balls
2 cups of oats
2/3 cup of white sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used the newest product from NuNaturals Dutch Cocoa powder)
2 TBSP hazel nut cappuccino (you can use coffee, water, milk, hot cocoa)
1 tsp vanilla (I use NuNaturals)
2 oz melted chocolate
1 stick room temperature unsalted butter
1 cup coconut flakes (to roll the balls in) I saw them rolled in powdered sugar, cocoa powder, crushed nuts, dipped in chocolate and left plain. The sky's the limit.
I saw the oat balls made with the oats whole but it looked dry and unpleasant. I noticed the ones from IKEA looked chopped or minced inside so I decided to put the oats in the food processor for a few seconds. Then added the sugar and cocoa powder. Hit the pulse button so it would blend, next came the butter, vanilla, cappuccino and melted chocolate. I blended all this until it became a crumbly consistency. At first I thought now how will these stay together but as soon as I took a teaspoon full or so out and placed it in my hand I saw it would form a ball just by putting a gentle squeeze on it. So I proceeded to make 24 balls, then rolled them in the coconut. I was really hesitant to be honest, so I took a bite. OMGosh that was good! After chilling in the fridge for several hours they were even better.
For the cake, that was simple. I purchase a cake mix (GASP! but I did)by Duncan Hines, a Swiss Chocolate mix (which has a total different flavor than a chocolate, fudge or devils food) and prepared it according to the box. Baked in a bundt pan because I thought the balls would look cool on top. Then took half a can of Duncan Hines classic chocolate frosting and melted it in the microwave for about a minute. Poured that over the cake and then topped with the oat balls. Now they wanted to roll off, so I stuck a toothpick in them to hold them in place. TA DA Viola and all that!DONE
ENJOY! we sure are!!

Please be sure to visit the others who joined in on this HAPPY BIRTHDAY IKEA post.
Tamara at The Three Gerbers aka Confessions of a Part-time working mom
http://thethreegerbers.blogspot.com/2016/02/happy-birthday-ikea.html

This post was submitted to Tamara from a non-blogger
http://thethreegerbers.blogspot.com/2016/02/sarahs-yellow-and-blue-zopf.html

Candice
http://measurementsofmerriment.blogspot.com/2016/02/happy-birthday-ikea.html

Jules from The Bergham Chronicles
http://berghamchronicles.blogspot.com/2016/03/happy-birthday-ikea-some-assembly.html

A late submission:
https://anamericaninbasel.wordpress.com/2016/02/29/ikea-cake-challenge/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

5 comments:

  1. Dawn, this is awesome!
    Your meatball - sorry oat ball - cake looks so delicious, and I don't even like oats! (I'll just go for the chocolate, OK?)
    I didn't know that your friend couldn't come through with the support you were kind of counting on, but hey, you did super well on your own!
    And all those years you actually HAD a piece of IKEA furniture!
    Thanks so much for playing - it was such a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamara, this was great fun and the oat balls...oh gosh! SO good in fact I've been told I need to make more and this from the 2 that "don't like chocolate" LOL

      Delete
  2. So cool, I've never heard of Oat Balls so I love seeing your version. But an Oat Ball Cake? Genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious and very easy to make. Cake? Of course! When have I ever passed on an opportunity to bake a cake? LOL AND it was a birthday post so it needed cake.

      Delete
  3. These oat balls look delicious and I'm definitely going to have to try them out!

    I'll just need to find some shredded coconut as I haven't seen that here in Switzerland (although I haven't really been looking!).

    ReplyDelete