Monday, February 15, 2016

Hazelnut Chocolate Oatmeal Crunchy Cookies

I was in the mood for cookies and oatmeal cookies to be exact. I have made several different versions over the years but really wanted a crunchy cookie but not just oatmeal and not cinnamon. Seems like all my recipes called for cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice. I just wasn't feeling it. So I sat and thought, then went to the pantry. At first I saw the baking cocoa and thought yes! A chocolate oatmeal cookie and then I saw it... the piece a jar of a store brand hazelnut spread, like Nutella. It wasn't as good as the "real" stuff so here it sat. Neglected. Alone. Just sitting there begging  to be used. So...I said "THAT'S IT!" and off to the kitchen I went. While surfing around on google looking for some inspiration I had also seen a recipe using brown sugar instead of white sugar. I liked this idea as well. 
Here is the recipe I finally came up with and results. OMGosh I will DEFINITELY be making these again. Actually, since I made them the first time just a few weeks ago, I have made them twice. Yes it's kind of a new obsession. I LOVE these cookies and so did Wade. He's not big on cookies, cake or pie but he really loved these cookies. When he gets in the mood for sweets he just grabs a "Little Debbie" cake and he's good. Not me! I want something homemade, something fresh, something that "I" made. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking LD cakes. I just prefer to make my own goodies. But since he was a single man for years and works 60+ hours he didn't have time to bake.
Now just look at this cookie! Begging to be eaten and that I complied with very promptly! Yum

Hazelnut Chocolate Oatmeal Crunchy Cookies
2 cups light brown sugar
1 stick butter, unsalted and softened
2 tsp vanilla (I used NuNaturals)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 cups old fashioned oats
2 HEAPING TBSP of hazelnut chocolate spread (like Nutella, I used a store brand)

350 degrees at 12-14 minutes for a crunchy cookie, 10-12  for a softer cookie. I personally like crunchy and W really liked them that way too. This recipe made 36 LARGE cookies and they were gone in 2 days!
In a bowl using an electric mixer, cream brown sugar and butter. Add in the vanilla and eggs. Once combined slowly add in your dry ingredients. Slowly or you'll be covered in flour! Yes I've done this. Lastly stir in the hazelnut spread.
This will be a light fluffy batter, very creamy and delicious.
Drop onto a greased cookie sheet by the TBSP and bake.


Cool on a wire rack and ENJOY! Store in an air tight container but don't worry they won't last long.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn, I just love your delicious Hazelnut Chocolate Oatmeal Crunchy Cookies. Thanks so much for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday party this weekend. Pinning/sharing. Hope to see you again soon with another delicious treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne, they were delicious and crunchy but not hard.

      Delete