Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Groundhogs Need Love Too!

How about some more poetry? Or another attempt? Okay okay, I'm not proficient with the "poetry" but if it's free form I can hang. At the end of the post you'll find links to the others. There are just a few of us brave souls...be sure to visit.
The theme for this month is "LOVE" but I wanted it to be "Ground-Hog Day" just because I like to be different. Karen told me that if I could incorporate both, go for it. It was a joke, she really is very tolerant and allows us to do whatever in most cases. So I took her joke as a challenge, because I wanted to, and thought I'd come up with a poem about both. HA! Easier said than done. I am no poet but I am a great story teller. Most people either love my stories or complain because I can't get to the point, I have to tell it as a story or too many details. Sorry, it is just who I am and how I function. So I'm sweeping my kitchen and thinking, I do my best thinking while cleaning. If I deep clean I'm mad but when I just sweep the same spot over and over I'm thinking. Hey, at least my floors are clean.
Hogs...Love...Ground-hogs and love what a combination... wait, wait, I smell smoke...
Ground-Hogs Need Love Too! That was my brain storm. Now what? Time to research Ground Hogs...Did you know
The groundhog (Marmota monax)is also known as a woodchuck,land beaver or whistlepig, and is a rodent of the family Sciuridae, which belongs to the group of large ground squirrels known as marmots. There are other marmots, such as the yellow-bellied and hoary marmots who live in rocky and mountainous areas, but the groundhog is a lowland creature
20-30 inches long including the tail and anywhere from 6-12 lbs. For some reason I was thinking they were bigger. When I lived in the mountains of NC, I would see groundhogs on occasion. It always thrilled me. I love nature, especially wildlife in the raw, not in cages or in magazines.
Their life span is only 3-6 years. So I guess if they want love it better be quick. LOL, sorry.
Ground-hogs are mostly solitary animals, only seeking out other groundhogs to mate. So hermits! Cavemen so to speak, since they live in underground holes/caves. However as a species, they work to protect each other. They use a high-pitched shrills to warn each other of approaching threats.
Ground-hogs are skilled climbers and swimmers, which helps them to escape predators.
Ground-hog burrows are so complex that each has its own "bathroom" chamber. I guess they can get lost and wander around in there for days so they need a loo. Of course I'm being silly but think about it.
Ground-hog burrows are known to have been responsible for uncovering a historic village in central Ohio - now a famous archaeological site.
To read more about groundhogs go to: http://www.havahart.com/groundhog-facts

Through all my searching I found these ADORABLE cookies! Not mine! So you'll have to visit her site for the recipe but I wanted to share them with you! http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/982437/pop-up-groundhog-cookie-recipe

Groundhogs Need Love Too!
Groundhogs get a bad rap
when all they do is dig in the ground.
They want to be left alone
except once a year when they need a bone!
Squirrels are cute
and people love to feed them.
Beavers tear down trees
and people wear them (hats ya know)
A fox is a fox
and quick, sly and pretty.
A rabbit is soft, fluffy
and makes a great stew.
But a poor groundhog
gets no respect.
He lives in the ground
where it's cold and wet.
We hold him up high 
into the sunlight.
Then blame him for the cold
which is six more weeks long.
I say it's time we give the devil his due.
Groundhogs Need Love Too!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogger and Blog: Karen of Baking In A Tornado
Name of Poem: Do Not Retreat

Blogger and Blog: Steena of The Angrivated Mom
Name of Poem: A Lovers Valentine
Link: https://angrivatedmom.wordpress.com/?p=672

Blogger and Blog: Robin of Someone Else's Genius
Name of Poem: Deepest Desires

Blogger and Blog: Candice of Measurements of Merriment
Name of Poem: Love Poems

Blogger and Blog: Dawn of Spatulas On Parade
Name of Poem: Groundhogs Need Love Too!

Blogger and Blog: Jules of The Bergham Chronicles
Name of Poem: Love Lovely Love
http://berghamchronicles.blogspot.com/2016/02/love-lovely-love-lovepoetry-february.html

9 comments:

  1. Informative AND hysterical, your talents know no bounds!
    PS: I have some floors that could use cleaning. You know, the next time you need some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is about having fun AND learning something new everyday. Mission accomplished!
      Yes, lots of offers to do floors!

      Delete
  2. So cute! I love how you accepted the challenge and created something awesome! Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. I literally laughed out loud! That was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it. Great job. Thank you for the information, entertainment, and giggles. Excellent job. Thank you for sharing!! 💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. I love these challenges!

      Delete
  5. Awww, that was so cute! I read it aloud to my girls (4 and 7) and the older thinks it needs to be part of their groundhog celebration at school next year...until I educated her on what kind of "bone" you were referring to. LOL.

    ReplyDelete