Friday, February 26, 2016

Cherry Fudge along with FF shopping and kids

I know that Valentine's Day has passed but it doesn't have to be VDay for you to fix a sweet treat for someone special. I love desserts, as you can tell from this blog and I love two flavors in particular : cherry and chocolate. I mean who doesn't right? Well, I actually do know some folks who can't stand cherry but I'm not one of them.

I have been on a sweet kick lately, oh come on, who am I kidding? It has been so long now it has reached addiction status! I NEED to get off sugar and sweets but who wants to? Not me. So in my quest for a new treat, one that could be more of a finger food and would last a while IF I decided not to eat it all in three days. I ran across a recipe on Facebook. No idea where it originated from or I'd give someone credit, but it sounded good, easy and quick. Three good reasons to make it! **Note after searching high and low I found the recipe. See link below.

Now, I did not pay good enough attention to the recipe when I saw it the first time and when I went to make it, I could not remember the exact ingredients, so I improvised.
Here is the FAIL photo...sad looking pink stuff.
That is NOT always a good idea (improvising). See, the fudge as it is called DID NOT set. I froze it and it was still too soft to pick up. I was disgusted and threatened to throw it out.

I took photos and was planning on posting with a note about how soft it was. THEN it just kept bugging me.

I HAD to find a way to fix this mess. I had it in the fridge for almost a week and it STILL had not "set" like fudge normally does.

Hoover says "Dawn don't throw it out, I don't care what you call it but this stuff is dank! I'll eat it anyway" well thankfully he forgot it was in the fridge otherwise I would not have been able to fix it.
HERE is the "Fixed" fudge!! OR as I call it FAIL #2. You have NO idea how this is bugging me. I do NOT fail at recipes. I just don't.

Here it is, doesn't this look FABULOUS? NO it does not, you know why?! Because even after the "fix" it would not set up. After being in the FREEZER for FOUR hours it STILL did no set!! Now the taste is wonderful but it is Not figure friendly unless you like the shape round! Best part? There is no baking required and very little prep time. Down side? It will not set up no matter WHAT you do.

Where I saw the recipe: I found it! Cherry Chocolate Fudge Video
RECIPE for the FAIL soft fudge
Cherry Fudge
3/4 cup butter, unsalted
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 TBSP cherry jell-o
1 tsp salt
1 bag white chips
1/2 cup dried cherries (I used a mix of cherries and cranberries)
Top: 10 oz dark chocolate
8x8 greased pan
wax paper or parchment
In a sauce pan melt the butter and sugar, stir to make sure it is combined well. Next remove from the heat and add in the cream and jello. Stir well. Your mix will thicken and be a very pretty cherry pink. Now add in the salt and bag of chips. Stir until melted and combined well. Tear a piece of wax paper or parchment and place in an 8 x8 pan so the paper hangs over the sides. Pour the mixture into the pan and place in the fridge for at least 3 hours. When it has set, melt your dark chocolate and spread on top. Now return to the fridge for another hour. Slice into squares, however small or large you prefer and store in an air tight container in the fridge. This should keep for a few weeks IF you can leave it that long! It really does taste great, just not a piece of fudge you can pick up, walk off with and eat. Too soft.
**it did NOT turn out like it should have. It never would "set up" and I searched and searched until I FINALLY found the video. Ah Ha! I forgot one major ingredient. Marshmallow fluff! THIS explains the "fudge" not setting and becoming firm. LOL read carefully AND make sure you don't forget an ingredient. I thought this might add to the "Funny Friday" post since I screwed this up. Oh well, no one's perfect.
I melted the original mess down, after I pulled as much of the top coating chocolate off as possible, then added 1 cup of marshmallow fluff, melted, stirred well and poured into a 8x8 square pan lined with wax paper. Popped it in the fridge for a hour, spread on the newly melted chocolate. Because it seemed to be setting up.1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips along with the topping from before and 1 TBSP of butter. Spread that over the fudge and placed in the fridge over night. It STILL did NOT set up! It was actually softer. So I popped it in the freezer. STILL did not set up. I give up.

OMGosh talk about sweet and yummy!!
Note to self PAY ATTENTION when you are fixing someone else's recipe! LOL
However, I am sure it might work IF all the proper ingredients were used the first time but I'm too fed up to find out. Hoover likes the "fail" so I let him eat it and just said stick to what you know. And I obviously don't know fudge.

Funny Friday, February 2016
Today’s post is this month’s Funny Friday, a regular feature published on the last Friday of every month. Funny Friday is a collaborative project. Each month one of the participants submits a picture, then we all write 5 captions or thoughts inspired by that month’s picture. Links to the other bloggers’ posts are below, click on them and see what they’ve come up with. I hope we bring a smile to your face as you start your weekend.


Funny Friday  150 X 150.jpg
Here’s today’s picture. It was submitted by The Bergham Chronicles     http://berghamchronicles.blogspot.com


25 - The Bergham's Life Chronicles - Feb 2016.jpg


1. Coffee, yes I MUST have some


2. Hey lady, stop standing there watching me, I know I'm blocking the aisle but I'll move when I'm done!


3. Mommy needs coffee, we must not forget the coffee!


4. Juice...check. Coffee...double check


5. Milk, juice, those are for babies. GIVE ME COFFEE


Click on the links below and let some other bloggers make you smile
Someone Else’s Genius
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

7 comments:

  1. Recipe fails are so frustrating (especially when you like the flavor) because I also just won't give up either. What you needed for this marathon recipe attempt session is for Gigi to share that coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! Hilarious!!! Loved them all. Thank you so much for the laughs!! I hope you have a fabulous weekend!! 💖

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh... I know this fudge is supposed to be a "fail", but it looks AMAZING and is calling my name!!! 💖 💖 💖

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stink at baking, but as long as it tastes yummy I'm happy.

    Yeah, stop watching lady and help her load the coffee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are YOU suffering from a coffee deficiency? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. #2 is pretty funny and yes we can NEVER forget mommy's coffee..bad things will happen.. lol Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mommy needs coffee, this little shopper has her priorities straight!

    Cherry and Chocolate -> a combination that will never fail, even if it doesn't look what you imagined it would!

    ReplyDelete