Saturday, February 20, 2016

"Baked" Molasses Lentils - #CIC

Happy Saturday and welcome to the March edition of  "Crazy Ingredient Challenge". This month our group voted and came up with "molasses and lentils", wow that could be crazy but once I gave it some thought, it really wasn't that hard.
I'm not a big fan of molasses unless it is in cookies but I do enjoy lentils. When thinking about WHAT to do with the molasses, I thought about baked beans, so why not substitute lentils?
They make a great side dish, vegan/vegetarian and packed with protein. Serve at your next BBQ , potluck or family dinner.

Yum
Baked Molasses Lentils
1/2 cup lentils
1-2 cups water
1 tsp salt
Cook the lentils until done, drain if needed.
Mix 1 TBSP molasses
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp vinegar (this helps cut the sweet)
a sprinkle of garlic powder
applewood smoked bbq rub, 1/2 tsp
stir well and pour over the lentils. Stir and bake for 15 minutes in a ramekin. 

Be sure to check out what the other ladies have come up with:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

7 comments:

  1. Copy cat LOL....Great minds Dawn!! Very creative if I do say so myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, wait, who copied who? I had several ideas but this one was speaking to my craving at the moment. They really are good!

      Delete
  2. YUM! These look delicious. Can't wait to make them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm! I am always trying to come up with a new side dish to serve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need more side dishes and so I'm trying to come up with more creative dishes that can be eaten alone or as a side.

      Delete
  4. This is such a smart idea! Since molasses is so popular in baked beans recipes, it's an obvious choice for this type of sauce. I just never would have thought to substitute lentils for the pinto beans. It's a great way to add a little extra protein to this popular side dish.

    ReplyDelete