Friday, December 4, 2015

Orange Pineapple Cake and Secret Subject Swap

First let me start off by saying this is my.....

Welcome to this month's Secret Subject Swap. This month 15 brave bloggers picked a subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts. These post are always a challenge and tons of fun. At times I sit staring at the screen with writers block trying to figure out just how in the world I'm going to do justice to the topic I'm given and other times it flows freely. I do hope that you my readers enjoy these challenges as much as we do.
First I'd like to share a deliciously light and fluffy cake I made for Thanksgiving. It was devoured in no time and after a heave meal it was the perfect dessert.

This cake if done the traditional way is called "pig pickin' cake" or "better than sex cake" but personally if you're doing it right the cake is NOT better...but I'll just leave that one alone. LOL There are actually over a dozen different names for this cake and I found two different versions for making it.

I made several adjustments to the cake. It was super moist and delicious. A note here, the cake is best if allowed to sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours IF you can leave it alone that long. After you have the first slice, trust me, it will not last long!

What you will need:
orange supreme cake mix
1/3 cup oil plus 2 TBSP
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 can, 15 oz, mandarin oranges with syrup
Prepare the cake by placing in a large bowl, I used my KitchenAid mixer, whipping the dry cake mix first to break up the lumps and bumps so it would mix better. Drop in the eggs and oil, once this has been incorporated well I then poured in a 15 oz can of mandarin oranges with the syrup. Allow this to mix for several minutes. I actually left mine mixing while I rubbed butter in my 13 x 9 pan and made sure my oven was preheated and hot. About 4 minutes or so. The batter will become light and fluffy. This will allow time for the oranges to break up in the mix. You can if you prefer add a second can of oranges DRAINED to the mix as well and next time I think I will. Pour the batter into your pan and bake until done, the cake will be a beautiful golden orange and the sides will pull away. be careful not to over-bake. Oven times vary, it took mine 28 minutes so 25-30 but keep a check on it. At 350 degrees.
Allow the cake to cool completely and then frost.

topping
cheesecake flavored instant jell-o pudding
1 large can, 20 oz, crushed pineapple
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 , 8 oz container, cool whip

In a bowl pour your dry pudding mix and powdered sugar, add to this the juice from the pineapple, stir well and add the pineapple. After this is mixed well allow to set for a couple of minutes. Now add your container of cool whip. Plop it on top and spread it. It will resemble chunky cottage cheese. But taste so much better. Cover and set in the fridge for 6 hours but best if overnight or even 24 hours if you can wait that long.

13 x 9 pan: it is easier to transport and store by using the 13 x 9. Traditionally it is a 3 layer cake but it is difficult to put in the trunk of your car and carry off without it sliding and messing up your lovely cake. It does not change the flavor or texture. However, by using a 13 x 9 I used more oil and eggs to keep it moist and light. If you make the layered version use 3 eggs instead and 2-3 TBSP LESS oil.

Your “Secret Subject” is:
A magical sorceress named Harriet has given you a surprise gift. In exactly 16 hours, three people (from the past, present, or future... Living, dead, or not yet born) of your choosing will show up at your home for dinner. You need to feed them, give them a gift, and ask them a question. Who do you invite? What do you prepare for the meal? What gift do you give each person? What questions do you ask?
It was submitted by: http://berghamchronicles.blogspot.com       

I really struggled with this topic because I miss my Daddy so much that just thinking about being about to sit down with him one more time for a meal choked me up so terribly that I have put off writing this post. I'm not sure it would be a "gift" to sit down one more time with him, I think it would make it that much harder to say good bye again but in the spirit of the challenge:
I would have my Daddy, his mother whom I never met because she died when he was 11 and Julia Child.
My Daddy because I love and miss him terribly, his mother because I never met her and have so many questions I'd like to ask, and Julia Child well...because it's JULIA CHILD!!
The gift I would give my Daddy would be the meal. He was one of my biggest fans when it came to my cooking and creative flair. He loved my killer beans, banana pudding, collards and really anything I ever sat in front of him. My gift would also be to tell him how very much I love him, miss him and that finally after all these years I'm happy. I would of course have W there for Daddy to meet. I'm sure they'd share a beer and a few good laughs. As for a question I'd just want to make sure that he knew how very much I love him and I'd ask him to tell me some of his stories and jokes. I miss those times of us sitting around cracking jokes, watching wrestling or listening to Jerry Clower. If you aren't old enough to know who I'm referring to, listen to this video. Oh gosh, my Daddy would laugh until he cried.
My grandmother...the gift I would give her would be to introduce her to my children. As for the food I have no idea what she was like or what type of food she would want but this cake would have to be on the list of things prepared for that day. I have a ton of questions to ask her but I guess the one question would be what was my Dad like as a baby/small child? He is the youngest of 9 and half his siblings were grown and gone when he was born. So I have no one to ask these questions of. I want to know if I'm like her, what her family was like, who they were and where they were from. See after she passed my grandfather never saw her family again so my Dad had no connection or knowledge of that side of the family. It is a mystery I would like solved.
Julia Child...oh gosh I'd be so nervous to cook for her but so excited at the same time. I think I would prepare my Osso Bucco for her. As for a gift, I would share with her just how much she has influenced the culinary world and let her see just how many thousands of people still watch her video's , old television shows and read her cookbooks. I think she would be overwhelmed to see just how far her influence has spanned in time. Question?? Oh gosh, there are far too many questions. I think I would just want to sit and listen to her share from her heart her love of cooking and what makes the best choices and why. We might even watch Julie and Julia and see how close the movie was to her life. I love this movie! I felt this movie and dreamed it was me.

So there you have it, my very eclectic dinner and guest, but very appropriate and me!

Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts.  Sit back, grab a cup, and check them all out. See you there:

http://www.BakingInATornado.com                          Baking In A Tornado
http://notthatsarahmichelle.blogspot.com            Previously: The Momisodes
http://sparklyjenn.blogspot.com/                                 Sparkly Poetic Weirdo
http://www.southernbellecharm.com                        Southern Belle Charm
http://www.renasworld.com/                                   Rena’s World
http://dinoheromommy.com/                         Dinosaur Superhero Mommy
http://berghamchronicles.blogspot.com/              The Bergham Chronicles
http://batteredhope.blogspot.com                         Never Ever Give Up Hope
http://www.angrivatedmom.wordpress.com                The Angrivated Mom
http://www.someoneelsesgenius.com                     Someone Else’s Genius
http://thethreegerbers.blogspot.ch           Confessions of a part time working mom
http://thelieberfamily.com                             The Lieber Family Blog
http://www.JuiceboxConfession.com                    Juicebox Confession
http://climaxedtheblog.blogspot.com                          Climaxed

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

20 comments:

  1. sniffles...what an emotional prompt and post. I would have a hard time limiting it to just three! I think you did an wonderful job explaining why who chose who you did. BTW what a yummy looking cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake was delicious and did not last long. I knew which 3 but could have invited more.

      Delete
  2. Mmmmm, that cake is making my mouth water! And you can never go wrong meeting Julia Child, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delicious cake! I agree, Julia is the bomb diggity

      Delete
  3. First of all, that cake looks amazing!
    I know how much you miss your dad and I love that even though painful, you'd pick him. That and wanting to gift your grandmother with meeting your children brought tears to my eyes. And then Julia, that just made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew right away that I would pick my Daddy and Julia but had to think and consider the third. Because I had several to choose from.

      Delete
  4. Your dinner party sounds fun! I hope everyone gets along and enjoys the meal!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this would be an awesome night!
    I hear you, I would hate the goodbye part so much that I might hesitate as well. On the other hand... what an opportunity!
    Congratulations on 888 posts, wow!

    PS: inviting Julia Child, I think I gave you a similar prompt a while ago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about that prompt but you're right. It's hard to believe ...888?? WOW I feel honored that anyone even stops by.

      Delete
  6. I understand how much you miss your daddy. It is especially hard at this time of year, isn't it. I would give a lot to have one day with either my mom or my dad or grandparents, or my sister or my mom-in-law or my step mom.......nope, it is never easy to say goodbye and what fun it would be to have them back for a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not easy. So many family members have gone on that I miss.

      Delete
  7. I love that movie too! Great job with your prompt.♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE the movie and could so identify with Julie.

      Delete
  8. I love this prompt and I love that movie as well. I think I've watched it a billion times and probably will that many more. I lost my dad when I was 15 so I get that too. It's been 30 years and its still hard. You did a great job with it and that cake sounds delicous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine losing my dad that young, it was hard enough to lose him 2 years ago. I 'm sorry you lost your dad so young.

      Delete
  9. I love your answer to my prompt. So beautiful. Thank you for hitting a grand slam with my prompt.
    You're more brave, than I'd ever be. I would never cook for Julia. I'd sit and stare at her, speechless.
    This cake... Oh em gee. It sounds amazing. I have a birthday coming up. Chad doesn't eat pineapple, so I try to avoid it, but it's my birthday, right?!
    This sounds like my favorite... Pineapple upside down cake... Only better. So much better.
    Congratulations on post 888!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always use oranges in the frosting instead of pineapple but I say "it's my party and I'll do what I want" LOL

      Delete
  10. I miss my grandparents. Breaks my heart (still) to think of them.

    Your dinner party sounds divine and the guest list is amazing. I'm sure everyone would have a grand time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss my grand daddy too and would love for him to meet my youngest son since I named JR for my maternal GD.

      Delete