Sunday, December 20, 2015

Cranberry Wonton Crisp with chocolate glaze #CIC

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah...whatever you are celebrating I hope it is filled with love, laughter, food, friends, family and most of all joy.

Welcome to this month's Crazy Ingredient Challenge! You know each month we have two list to vote on and the one ingredient from each list that receives the most votes is what we are given. Then we, the bloggers who participate, take those two ingredients and create a new, never on our blog or published, recipe. On the 20th of the month we all post and share with you our readers. You will see below links to each one of the creations. It is always fun and sometimes scary. Our ingredients in the past have been wacky, unfathomable and crazy. This month worked out to be wonderfully easy. I had a hard time picking WHAT recipe I would create because I had so many things running through my head.

**If you are interested in joining us, and are a blogger, email me: spatulasonparade@gmail.com
You do not have to be a food blogger, just a blogger. This may help your creative juices, find new combos your family will love and provide you will a larger audience for your current content.

Cranberries and Cocoa

I chose to create a wonton crisp with a homemade cranberry sauce inside. I thought about making them with phyllo dough and baking them but wanted something more substantial or hearty so to speak. I gave consideration to a chocolate cranberry bread and will most likely still do that but thought it was too safe for this challenge. Honestly I'm not sure I came up with a "crazy" recipe but this one sounded the best to me.

Cranberry sauce
1 cup OJ (I used the Tropicana 50 with less sugar)
1/3 brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup orange marmalade, (I used a brand that was naturally sweetened so no sugar)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
12 oz fresh cranberries

In a medium sauce pan I combined all the ingredients and brought it to a boil over medium heat. Stir occasionally and allow to boil for 10 minutes. The cranberries will pop. As I stirred I would smush the berries. IF you like your sauce smooth, you can allow this to cool once it is done cooking and puree in a food processor. I like the chunky version myself. Stir until it has cooked, thickened and darkened in color. Allow to cool and use as a sauce for your Christmas dinner or in the wonton recipe below.

After the cranberry sauce cooled I place 1 TBSP in the center of a wonton wrapper. I wet the edges and folded it into a triangle. This was dropped into hot oil and fried. Then allowed to drain on a rack.
Once this was done I combined 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 TBSP of baking cocoa along with 2-4 TBSP milk. This was stirred well and poured over the wontons! YUM YUM

W is not big on fruit, especially cranberries but he loved this and Travis said they were "DANK" which in today's teenage slang means totally awesome! WOO HOO

Be sure to check out the links below to see what everyone else  came up with! Thanks for stopping by!!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

4 comments:

  1. They look DANK to me LOL. Thanks Dawn for another great event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn, these sound awesome... I could eat one or two or a few dozen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dank? that's a new one on me, glad you translated. ha ha!

    These sound yummy with the orange cranberry filling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those silly teens! That's a new one on me.
    Love your idea. I'm in love with everything cranberry right now though and I definitely think you should try that bread, too.

    ReplyDelete