Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Thanksgiving Haiku AND a holiday dessert

If you missed it, don't be sad, I participated in a Halloween poem (link here) group post. LOL it's wasn't fabulous and I am obviously a glutton for punishing myself...masochist? Lord I hope not. But here I am...participating in another "poem" of sorts. A Thanksgiving Haiku. Indulge me and check out the dessert.

Thanksgiving Day
family and tons of food
cooking and baking

Driving to and from
traveling near and far away
family, friends

holiday visits
gluttony, pounds gained
Black Friday race

shopping list in hand
perfect gift hunt in demand
mall crowd traffic

come end of the day
exhausted, broke, hungry
Christmas smiles

now credit card debt
making payments all year long
so we can repeat

it all over in
November the next year
it's a tradition

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Glitter Brownies
  • 1 cup plus 2 Tbs flour
  • 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbs cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup oil
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 4 eggs
Mix your wet ingredients first, then add in the sugar. In a bowl add dry ingredients and mix well, stir in gently to the wet mix. Now pour into a greased 13 x 9 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes depending on your oven and altitude. I used a Pyrex pan and it took -- minutes.
After the brownie has baked I frosted them with milk chocolate frosting and I sprinkled eatable glitter on top. Just for fun!

The 17 yo boy in the house said "Dawn these brownies are #dank " which by the way is a compliment. LOL
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blogger and Blog: Karen of Baking In A Tornado
Name of Poem: Haiku or Hai-can't: A Collection of Thanksgiving Haikus

Blogger and Blog: Dawn of Spatulas on Parade 
Name of Poem: Thanksgiving Haiku

Blogger and Blog: Candice of Measurements of Merriment
Name of Poem: Thanksgiving Poems 

Blogger and Blog: Steena of The Angrivated Mom
Name of Poem: A Time For Thanks

Blogger and Blog: Robin of Someone Else's Genius
Name of Poem: Ode to Turkey Day 

Blogger and Blog: Jules of The Bergham Chronicles
Name of Poem: #ThankfulPoetry 

10 comments:

  1. Great poem and so true! Seems like every year is a repeat for the shopping season, like the movie Groundhog Day. lol Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES the turkey version of groundhog day!
      Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours

      Delete
  2. Great poetry AND chocolate? I'm in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And heated up with vanilla ice cream on top the brownies were EVEN better if that was possible!

      Delete
  3. I was about to ask why you call them "Glitter Brownies", but you answered my question! Love your poem. No, really. Don't sell yourself short - at least you are putting it out there. Courage, my friend. Courage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin! I am A LOT more bold than I was a year ago, maybe I'm getting older and caring less what others think or maybe it's being comfortable with who I am. Or both :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my god that dessert looks decadent. Great job with the poems, you guys are all nailing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decadent, Dank, Delicious yes! Now I need to walk, run and sweat the delicious things off my thighs!

      Delete
  5. Love it!! So grateful you shared!!

    ReplyDelete