Friday, January 2, 2015

U-G-L-Y duckling cake

Happy New Year! Man, 2015! Hard to believe. I remember as a teen and Prince was singing 1999 and that seemed like FOREVER and now we've moved way past the whole Y2K scare and after we blink a few times it will be 2020.

Lord willing this year will be good, it will definitely be a year of more changes. I ended 2014 NOT how I thought I would. Instead of looking forward to another 25 years of marriage, it ended and I faced starting life over at almost 50 years old. We never know where tomorrow will take us.

Now I am enrolled in college and looks like I'll be starting classes on the 12th and working full time for the first time in YEARS. I'm in training and it's only my first week but so far so good.

I have a few recipes planned out and some things in the works but for today I'm sharing my moms ugly duckling cake with you. This recipe came out of a magazine many years ago. Yep, it's U G L Y but it is tasty and simple. Nothing healthy but it's still the holiday week. LOL

Stay tuned for upcoming recipes, reviews, updates and of course the 4 writing challenges that I take part in. Also, the CIC that falls on the 20th of each month.
** for those who complained about the small type in the photo:
1 package 2 layer size yellow cake mix
1 can 16 oz fruit cocktail
2 1/3 cups coconut
2 eggs
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
Combine the cake mix, fruit cocktail with syrup, 1 cup coconut and eggs in a large bowl. Blend then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased 13x9 pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until cake is done. Bring butter, sugar and milk to a boil in a small saucepan, boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining coconut and spoon over hot cake, serve warm or cool.

When I make this cake I put half the coconut IN the cake mix, my mother puts it all on top. I also use more brown sugar, half cup IN the cake and half cup sprinkled on top. Either way it's a good cake.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment