Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Italian Chicken Pasta - one pot one meal

No, I have not forgotten how to cook but living with my mom (who is the pickiest eater you'll ever meet) presents difficulties. I made this last night and am sharing today for a #tastytuesday meal.

She doesn't like "mess" which translates to flavor, or "junk" which means any vegetable other than corn, green beans, cabbage or collards.

I love my mom but she is very judgmental of food and spices. She wrinkles up her nose and will push it around the plate. (I guess that's what happens when you're almost 70 and have never been anywhere other than a small town. Her idea of good food means it comes out of a box, can or frozen. She loves easy microwave prepared food. I am all about fresh, homemade and full of flavor. We are two entirely different people.)

Well, this was no different. It was delicious but she coughed, fanned, made all sorts of comments and noises. Oh well, I tried. It is so different than cooking the past 25 years for a man who would eat anything and loved it.

It was really simple and prepared all in one pot. Less mess, easy clean up and less standing at the stove.
All cooked and ready to eat! It was still bubbling when I took the photo so it looks kinda funny but oh man I loved it.

Italian Chicken Pasta
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
1 can petite diced tomatoes
2 large sweet salad peppers
1/2 large sweet onion diced
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup small pasta shells
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup finely shredded Italian blend cheese

I cut the chicken into bite size pieces, sauteed it and the onion in the evoo. Once the onions were clear and the chicken was done I added the diced peppers and spices. Add 3/4 cup pasta shells and pour the tomatoes on top. Then add 3/4 cup water and sprinkle a little more garlic and oregano on top. Cover and simmer until the pasta is done about 8 minutes. Then I stirred in the Parmesan cheese, topped with the Italian blend and covered for 5 minutes until the cheese was all bubbly.
Serve with your favorite veggie. We had sweet garden peas.
A delicious easy meal all in one pot.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment