Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Red Velvet Fudgy Pie - Happy 23rd

Today is my middle son's birthday. Jesse is 23 today and it is the 23rd. Once in a lifetime this happens, for us all. We are the age of the day we are born, just once. (it's funny it happened twice this year for my boys. Last month my youngest son was 21 on the 21st)

I won't embarrass you too much Jesse, but I love you and am proud of you. You are a hard working, dedicated, funny, talented young man.

This was taken the spring of 1992, he was less than a year old, he was laughing his head off but I can't remember why.

So since it only happens once I wanted to make him something extra special. I asked him several times what he wanted and all he could say was "I don't know". Well, I made a few suggestions and all I got was "sure".

You see, it has been a rough few months for us. Life has definitely not gone as planned and there has been a lot of upheaval in our lives.

This was taken last month, he hates taking photos and the wind was bitter cold that day.


This was all the more reason to make him something special.

I know he loves anything chocolate, yes he is MY son, and he loves sweets. His middle name should be sweet or dessert but that would be odd. LOL

So I went with something less traditional, not a birthday cake or even a pie, but a combo of the two.

A red velvet fudgy pie, at least that's what it's called.

A delightfully light red velvet cake inside of a flaky pie crust, topped with a fudgy topping. Oh yeah! Delicious
This is really simple to make and doesn't require a lot of ingredients.

Red Velvet Fudgy Pie
2 pie crust, I used frozen deep dish
1 red velvet cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 cup water
1 12 oz bag chocolate chips
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 stick butter

Allow your pie crust to thaw, prepare your cake mix according to the directions, mine called for the 3 eggs, oil and water. Pour half of the batter into each pie shell. Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes. Do NOT over bake. 
In a sauce pan melt the chips, butter and stir in the sweetened condensed milk. Stir well and allow to cook on low for about 3-5 minutes. It will begin to thicken.
Pour the chocolate over the warm cake/pie and spread. Allow it to cool, slice, serve and ENJOY!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment