His segments 5/5/5, 5 ingredients in 5 minutes for $5 is the best part. I have recreated several of his dishes from this segment and am always very pleased with the results.
Two weeks ago before my move I was taking a much needed break and watching the show with my son J2. He loves cooking as much as I do and the kid can eat let me tell ya. So anyway, we're watching the show and drooling over this recipe. I said, "as soon as this is over, I'm headed to the store and buy those ingredients" that's not something I normally do but with packing there wasn't much in the house.
I made it to the store the next day, long story as to why, but I purchased what I needed and made the dish that day.
OH WOW, it was worth the extra days wait. The salad made enough that I actually ate it for several days which was perfectly fine with me. My son did not eat the salad as he is not a kale fan but I LOVED it!
You can find the recipe and instructions HERE for the dish.
I only changed a few items due to not having the "exact" things in the house. Like the vinegar and type of mustard.
HAM STEAK WITH KALE & BLACK EYED PEAS
- 24 ounce Ham Steak (mine was 16 oz)
- 1/4 cup Cider Vinegar (I used rice wine vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard (I used regular yellow mustard)
- 1 Clove Garlic (Grated) (used 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil (plus more)
- 4 cups Kale Leaves (Finely Chiffonade)
- 15 .5 ounces Black Eyed Peas (Drained & Rinsed)
- 1/2 Red Onion (rings, thinly sliced on a mandolin)
- Kosher Salt (added NO salt at all)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 pats Butter (used 4 TBSP no salt butter)