Monday, November 10, 2014

Kale Salad with Mustard Viniagrette and Ham Steaks

How many of you are fans of The Chew? ME ME ME I am. I love The Chew and Michael Symon is one of my favorites.

His segments 5/5/5, 5 ingredients in 5 minutes for $5 is the best part. I have recreated several of his dishes from this segment and am always very pleased with the results.

Two weeks ago before my move I was taking a much needed break and watching the show with my son J2. He loves cooking as much as I do and the kid can eat let me tell ya. So anyway, we're watching the show and drooling over this recipe. I said, "as soon as this is over, I'm headed to the store and buy those ingredients" that's not something I normally do but with packing there wasn't much in the house.

I made it to the store the next day, long story as to why, but I purchased what I needed and made the dish that day.

OH WOW, it was worth the extra days wait. The salad made enough that I actually ate it for several days which was perfectly fine with me. My son did not eat the salad as he is not a kale fan but I LOVED it!

You can find the recipe and instructions HERE for the dish.

I only changed a few items due to not having the "exact" things in the house. Like the vinegar and type of mustard.



HAM STEAK WITH KALE & BLACK EYED PEAS

  • 24 ounce Ham Steak (mine was 16 oz)
  • 1/4 cup Cider Vinegar (I used rice wine vinegar)
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard (I used regular yellow mustard)
  • Clove Garlic (Grated) (used 1 tsp garlic powder)
  • 1/2 cup Olive Oil (plus more)
  • 4 cups Kale Leaves (Finely Chiffonade)
  • 15 .5 ounces Black Eyed Peas (Drained & Rinsed)
  • 1/2 Red Onion (rings, thinly sliced on a mandolin)
  • Kosher Salt (added NO salt at all)
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • pats Butter (used 4 TBSP no salt butter)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment