Thursday, September 4, 2014

Caramel Apple Dark Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies - Fill the cookie jar

Hi and welcome to another #fillthecookiejar post. A group of bloggers get together, headed up by Cynthia over at Feeding Big and bake, eat and post about cookies each month. I mean, who doesn't want to do this, right?

Well, you need to be a blogger, love to bake cookies, contact Cynthia and join our group. Easy peasy.

This month our theme was "fall" and that was pretty open ended but since our posting date fell today, September 4th AND it's my mother's birthday. I thought I would make a cookie that she would enjoy and would embody "fall" to us both.

She loves oatmeal cookies, especially my oatmeal lacies, loves caramel, apples (like caramel or candy apples for the fair) and I love chocolate, so I added that in as well. With my mom in mind, the flavors we both enjoy, this months theme and "fall" being near, I decided to use all the flavors.

The calendar says it is almost fall but the temperatures here in South Georgia do not! I knew today's post was coming up so I watched the weather and waited for a cooler day.

Finally on the 25th we had a cool fall morning, 70 degrees, and trust me, with over 5 days in a row topping out at 105-110 heat index, 70 with a breeze was FABulous. That was my baking day.

I thought maybe I added to many ingredients to the cookies, and that maybe they would not turn out. But thankful I was wrong and they were FANtastic!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAMA!! See you soon! (this photo was last year, we had cupcakes for breakfast)



Yes, she is 8 hours away, furthest we've been in YEARS and I won't see her today but will be there in one week. My oldest son is getting married. I know you may be tired of hearing that, but I'm excited!

Here are my "Fall" cookies for this month:
Be sure to check out the rest of the group, we always have such creative and gorgeous cookies.


Caramel Apple Dark Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
2 1/4 cup flour (I used all purpose multi-grain flour)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup oats (not instant)
1 cup butter (2 sticks room temperature)
1 cup brown sugar packed
1/2 cup white sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
2 TBSP honey, I used raw clover honey
1 granny smith apple, peeled cored and finely chopped = 1 1/4 cup
3/4 cup caramel bites
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips or whichever type you prefer

Preheat oven to 300 degrees, cookies will need 18-24 minutes depending on your oven.
Combine your first 4 ingredients in a bowl, mix well and set aside.
In a stand mixer bowl add your butter and two sugars. I cut my butter into pads to help it incorporate easier. Mix well on medium speed until you have a grainy paste. Add your eggs, honey and vanilla. While this mixes, slowly, peel core and chop your apple. Slowly add the dry mix into the cream mix, with your mixer on low gradually add the dry and then the apple. Once this has combined well turn off the mixer and by hand stir in the chips and caramel.
On a prepared baking sheet or silpad drop the mix by the spoonful, leaving 2-3 inches so the cookies have room to spread. I used a tablespoon and this gave me 3 1/2 dozen cookies, if you like smaller cookies, use 1-2 tsp size.
Bake until golden brown, be careful and keep an eye on them so your caramel doesn't burn.
Remove to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container.
ENJOY we sure did.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment