Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Eggs and Beets - August 2014 #CIC

What day is it? Come on, what day is it? It's HUMP DAY!
Do you hate this commercial as much as I do? I swear that camel walking around asking the same question, over and over and over. Makes me want to S C R E A M!

Today, I'm screaming about...
CIC host SpatulasOnParade monthly food challenge
That's right, it's time for our CRAZY challenge! And this month it's ...


EGGS
and
Beets

Yes, crazy ingredients, but that's what this is all about. Once again, our group of talented bloggers voted on the ingredients. These two won my 2 votes. The other choice that was the popular one in the beginning was "peas and cheese", I secretly wanted that one.

I did a lot of research and mostly what I found was folks making chocolate cakes, cup cakes and brownies with beet puree mixed in. That was easy and great sounding but I wanted to be different.
I love pickled beets and I add them to my salads along with boiled eggs, so that was a natural fit to me.

I chose to make:

I had planned on mixing the relish "in" the yoke mix but it turned it a yucky pinkie mauve puck color, so I opted to make my normal deviled eggs and add the beet relish on top. I thought it was tasty, my husband refused to try it. I found something else he doesn't like, beets.

Beet Relish
3 cups peeled, sliced boiled beets
1 large onion thinly sliced
2 tsp pickling spice
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups of the beet water
Boil these ingredients together, allow to cool and place in the fridge over night. After 24 hours remove and dice up the beets/onion mixture.

Be sure to visit the other participating bloggers post!! THANKS
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment