Thursday, July 3, 2014

Patriot Bars - #FIllTheCookieJar

Tomorrow is July 4th and in celebration our July #FillTheCookieJar post is ... red, white and blue themed! Go figure right?! haha

Fill the Cookie Jar was started by Cynthia over at Feeding Big. We, bloggers not all bakers, come up with a new recipe each month based on a theme assigned to us by Cynthia. Then in turn, we all post on the same day, you can see the others below in the link up. It is fun, allows us to be creative and of course find a ton of new recipes. TRY not to gain a ton by reading them!



I wanted mine to be somewhat healthy, so I opted for cookie bars, because it makes less, so I eat less AND I could use up some fresh fruit I had on hand from my SIL's farm. A win win if you ask me. I hope you agree.

I did prepare 2 recipes... I also have red,white and blue 4th of July cookies and they are found HERE




These would be perfect for a picnic, July 4th, Veteran's Day, Flag Day, Labor Day, Memorial Day or just because.

Patriot Bars
base: 1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter, room temp.

Blend the sugar and butter until creamy, next add in the remaining ingredients. Press into a prepared 8 or 9 inch square pan and bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees, it may take less time depending on your oven, so keep an eye on them.

Top with:
fresh blueberries - 1 cup
1 1/2 cups of strawberry sauce ( fresh strawberries and sugar cooked down and cooled)

Bake this for 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Cool for 20 minutes and then sprinkle shredded coconut on top.
Allow it to cool, cut and enjoy as is or top with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.

ENJOY!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment