Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Minestrone Salad

I am sure you guys think I abandoned my healthy eating with all the goodies I've been post the last week. I didn't , I promise.

I did make this recipe last week and enjoyed it for two days. This creation came about while I was trying to figure out what to prepare one day. I really wanted soup, but at 98 degrees and hotter, I just didn't feel like that was the best idea.

So...how about taking all the flavors in one of our favorite soups and making it a salad. YES, that's what I did.

We love minestrone, so why no in a salad. It was simple, delicious and packed with protein. What better could you ask for?

Now, after I made the recipe and ate the first serving, later I opted to add a dash of lemon juice in it. A little added punch and brightness was just what it needed.

This dish is great if you are vegan, vegetarian or having a #meatlessMonday. We did actually eat it on Monday and Tuesday.

You could take this on a picnic or a potluck dinner. No cooking involved and very little clean up.



Minestrone Salad
mixed baby greens (used as a base)
1 cup shredded coleslaw mix
1 cup garbanzo beans/chick peas (drained and rinsed from a can)
1 cup kidney beans (drained and rinsed from a can)
1 small carrot
1 small sweet onion
1 rib celery
12 large grape tomatoes cut into fourths
Place the carrot, celery and onion into a food processor and chop very finely. Place all items, except the greens into  bowl.
Next add your :
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
1 TBSP lemon juice
Stir well to full coat. Cover and chill for 2 hours, serve over the greens.

ENJOY
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment