Thursday, July 24, 2014

couscous pinenut salad

Did you see my post about sweet potatoes? If so, I mentioned the couscous salad, well here it is.

I'm sitting here laughing, why? Because every time I see the word couscous, I hear in my head "couscous the food so good they named it twice" and I have no idea where that came from.

We enjoyed this salad along with a perfect baked sweet potato for a meatless meal, that I loved but my husband ate. If you're a guy you know what I mean by that. He's a meataterian and I'm healthy. It's not a meal without meat for him, but since he had ice cream for dessert, he was okay.


Couscous salad
Okay this was really good, simple and yes I cheated a tad. I did the big no no and bought something in a box. I did not use the "flavor" packet in side, so it wasn't too unclean.

I cooked this in my own chicken broth, when I cook a chicken to use in several recipes, I save the broth and freeze it in 1 cup servings. Then I can just take it out and use when needed.

Couscous
1 cup chicken broth (you could use vegetable broth)
pinenuts, 2 TBSP
cucumber, diced, 1/2 cup
sweet peppers diced, 1/4 cup
olive oil, 2 TBSP
lemon juice, 1 TBSP
pepper, fresh ground to taste
parsley, 1 TBSP dried
garlic powder, 1 tsp

In a small sauce pan bring  chicken broth to boiling, shut the heat off and pour in the couscous. Cover and allow it to sit for 5 minutes. At the end of the time, fluff with a fork and gently stir in all remaining ingredients.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment