Monday, June 9, 2014

zucchini beef parmigana

Okay, let me say this up front, this is Not a "clean" recipe but it was delicious. Sometimes we need a little comfort food. I've been really good and am down another 5 1/4 inches plus 5.6 lbs. So I didn't feel too bad about eating this just once.

 (remember I'm a Taffy Ambassador and if you go to www.shoptaffy.com remember to use my DISCOUNT CODE: DAWN40) There is a BIG SALE this week, today thru the 13th ONLY

Remember I told you I was leafing through old recipe books, well, this recipe is my version of one I found. It sounded really good but it made a lot! 6 - 15 oz casseroles! I did NOT need that much. Mine made a 10 inch round pie pan full, which was MORE than enough for the two of us, in fact it made 2 meals.

So I cut the recipe in half and tweaked it a bit.

My husband said it was okay, I enjoyed it, but remember - he's not a cheese fan.

zucchini -beef parmigiana
1/2 lb lean ground beef or ground round
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 tsp basil, dried or 1 TBSP fresh
1 tsp orgeano dried or 1 TBSP fresh
1 tsp garlic powder
1 TBSP tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
1 - 14oz can whole tomatoes no salt added, undrained and chopped
1 tsp all purpose flour
2 small zucchini sliced into super thin rounds
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 cup milk (I used almond)
1 tsp garlic
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used a 5 blend)

Brown your meat and next 4 ingredients, cook over medium heat until meat is done and crumbly. Add paste,sugar, chopped tomatoes, and 1 tsp flour. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 30 minutes.

While this is simmering, prepare a 9 inch baking pan, thinly slice your zucchini and place in the bottom and up the sides, forming a pie crust of sorts. Set this aside and now prepare your cheese sauce.


In a sauce pan, prepare your cheese sauce. Add your flour, salt, nutmeg, garlic and stir well, blend in your milk, heat on med until it begins to thicken. 

Remove from the heat and stir in your Parmesan cheese.

Add your meat mixture on top of the crust/zucchini,


 pour your thickened cheese sauce on top,


 then top with the shredded cheese. 



Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20 minutes. Allow it to cool and serve, it will not "cut" into pretty slices unless it has cooled off, but you can serve it in a bowl with a slice of French bread. If you prefer, you can bake this in individual dishes. Since it was just us, I didn't care if it served pretty.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment