Thursday, June 5, 2014

Jeff's Peanut-butter and chocolate cookie bars - #FillTheCookieJar

This has been an incredibly hard week. Monday was June 2nd, marking one year since my Daddy passed away. When I saw Cynthia post about this week's cookie post and that the theme was Father's Day or dads favorite. I thought, no way. I'm not doing it. I can't. But them I remembered who I am and that my dad did not raise someone who would wallow or lay down and be miserable. So I decided to do it.

I decided to make a no bake cookie bar loaded with two of his favorite things. Chocolate and peanut butter. 


When I was growing up my daddy had a saying "a candy bar a day keeps the doctor away" now of course we know that is not true or healthy. He loved a Snickers and Reese Cups. Those were his favorites, later in life he feel in love with Whoppers. But truth be told, my Daddy never met a candy bar he didn't like!

My mom has a photo of me in a diaper, covered in chocolate. I was 10 months old and eating a Hershey's bar. :) big grin, my Daddy bought it for me, yep he started me early on my love for chocolate and sweets. Until last year when I changed my life and began a healthy life style I ate chocolate and peanut butter almost everyday.

Almost 3 years ago I developed an allergy to peanuts, so no more peanut butter which was hard for me. Then I found WOWbutter, it taste just like peanut butter but has no nuts of any kind. Amazing! They should pay me I use this stuff so much!

For these bars you can use peanut-butter, I used the WOWbutter and it is difficult to work with. You need a little oil with it because it becomes dry and crumbly.

So in honor of my Daddy and this months theme... we have Jeff's (my Daddy) peanut-butter and chocolate cookie bars. He would have LOVED these. They are sort of like buckeyes or a Reese cup.


This photo was taken on my birthday, I was 17. Daddy's little girl - always have been, always will be.



Jeff's Peanut-butter and chocolate cookie bars
1 stick unsalted room temp butter
3/4 cup peanut-butter (or whatever type you prefer)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar, lightly packed
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup dark chocolate chips (for the cookie)
1 cup dark chocolate chips, melted for the top

Take the first 4 ingredients and beat well with a mixer. SLOWLY add the powdered sugar and blend well. TRUST ME if you do this too fast, you will end up covered in powdered sugar! Now by hand stir in the chips. Press into a greased small pan, about 5x7 in size or bigger if you want thinner bars. Melt the second cup of chips and pour on top. Chill for 2 hours in the fridge or 20 minutes in the freezer. Cut into bars and ENJOY

No baking! Perfect for these hot days of summer.




Be sure to check out all the other great bloggers who participated this month, they are at the bottom of this post and thank you Cynthia from Feeding Big for putting this together.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment