Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Glazed meatballs

I have never been a fan of meatballs, not sure why. I used to love burgers and a good meat loaf but for some reason meatballs just didn't do it for me.

Last year I made a chicken Parmesan meatball and we loved them! My husband loved them and he's no meatball fan either.

So when I made these the other night, he just looked at me. I said, I know I know, just eat it.

So he did. He's so funny, he looked at me in this weird way and said "what's that taste?" I wasn't sure if he wanted an explanation or a smack side the head. I said, "I don't know, there's a lot of things in there". He didn't like my answer. Can't imagine why.

I said, the "meatball flavor or the glaze?" He wasn't sure. So I said, "well do you like them or not? "

"Oh yeah! I just can't place all the flavors." (sheez now he thinks he's an iron chef judge or something)

I loved them and the recipe made enough that the two of us ate them for supper that night and then had 2 lunches after that. If you're counting that is 6 servings off of 1 cooking/preparation. So if you are single, you could freeze some and if you have a big family you know you don't need to 'adjust' the recipe. It made 60 good size meatballs. The would be a great appetizer for a party!

It was simple but had several steps, not my norm. I like quick easy and no fuss. But these were worth the effort.

I ground my own chicken, yes I said chicken. My husband didn't even know they were chicken until I told him, so you'll love it! You can buy ground chicken or turkey if you want. I found chicken on sale and it was less expensive to do myself, plus I have a butt kicking food processor that made it a snap.

Glazed meatballs
1/4 cup honey
2 TBSP low sodium soy sauce
1 TBSP Dijon mustard
grate 1 lemon and use half in the glaze
juice from 1 lemon
oil or cooking spray (total I used less than 3 TBSP of oil) you could also bake these but I did a light pan fry/saute
2 tsp oil (for cooking the vegetables)
1 small sweet onion, diced
1 cup diced sweet peppers (you could use bell peppers if you want)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2-2 lbs ground chicken ( I ground my own)
1/2 cup Italian seasoned fine bread crumbs
1/2 cup zucchini finely grated
half the lemon zest
1/2 tsp white ground pepper
1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1 lemon juiced
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp low sodium soy sauce

In a pan, place oil, onion, peppers and garlic. Saute and set aside to cool. While that is cooling, prepare your glaze by combining the first 5 ingredients. Set aside.
Grind your chicken in the food processor, if you purchased ground, skip this step.




Place the cooled vegetables in the food processor along with the 8 ingredients listed AFTER the ground chicken. Process until pasty and add it to the ground chicken, mix well.
Prepare 60 little meatballs about 1 1/2 inches in size. Saute in a dab of oil. Don't add too many at one time as it makes it difficult to turn them. Remove, set aside and continue until they are all cooked.

Now add the glaze to the pan and stir, allowing it to thicken just a bit, then return the meatballs, carefully turning to coat. Allow this to simmer for about 10 minutes and serve over veggie noodles, rice, pasta or as an appetizer.

**Note, the day after I fixed these, I prepared another batch of glaze and poured over the meatballs heated them and served over rice. My husband was happy.

ENJOY
FYI: these meatballs have 35 calories each , Protein 3.2 g Fat 1 g Carb 3.3g Sodium 86g
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment