Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Protein Packed Fruit Bowl

Sorry I've been MIA this week. On Monday morning we received a call bright and early that my father-in-law was ill. So I stopped my workout and took him to the doctor, who promptly sent us to the ER. It was a long long day and we ended up at another hospital in another town so that he could receive the specialized care he needed.
I will spare you all the detail but he is in ICU and we hope that this afternoon late he will be moved into a step down unit.
It was touch and go for awhile and scary but thank God it seems the worst is behind us.

Now on to a recipe!

Several weeks ago I read about a vitality bowl being served in a restaurant in California. $10 a bowl!! WHOA that's a lot for some fruit and nuts. I read about it in several places and even saw another blogger who made her own.
For some reason that bowl has been in my head for the past 3-4 days, so I thought why not, let's see what I come up with.
I have made 2 version now and the second was the best. So I'll give you those details. You may have seen the photo on my Instagram already, that was a little teaser.

Protein Packed Fruit Bowl
4 large frozen strawberries
1/2 scoop pea powder protein
1/3 cup raw natural apple sauce
Blend this in a blender or vita-mix. Spread in a bowl or you can pop it in the freezer for a few minutes to help make it firmer and then into a bowl. Your choice.
Next slice a banana on top, add 1-2 TBSP homemade granola, a TBSP of nut butter (I use WOW butter as I'm allergic to peanuts) sprinkle with chopped nuts. (I used cashew and almond 1 tsp) drizzle with raw honey and add 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.
TONS of flavor and protein in this power packed breakfast. I enjoyed it after my workout and 4 hours later am still not hungry.

If you're curious, the first time I used almond milk with the strawberries and added cocoa powder, pea powder protein and honey. It was far too runny but tasted fine. I also stirred the WOWbutter, honey and cinnamon together the first time, which was good, but just added another step that really wasn't needed unless you don't like the cinnamon on top with the drizzled honey.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment