Monday, April 21, 2014

Cajun Shrimp Salad

After the week of my FIL being in the hospital and then trying the following week to cook for him (he likes his food battered and deep fried) I really needed a healthy meal. Oh don't get me wrong, I was eating healthy, just not totally clean and I indulged in a few snacks...hence no weight loss last week. ugh

My husband was thrilled with the healthy bad food (yes that's what I'm calling it) and my mind enjoyed it, but my insides did not.

I have noticed since January and changing to a clean eating lifestyle that it may taste good to eat otherwise but boy do I pay for it. The pain returns, the bathroom trips increase and I just feel blah.

Enough of the TMI...so, I really wanted a Cobb Salad, but honestly, my husband doesn't like avocado, the corn is all GMO, the cheese (that's another story) so I decided to create my own version, sort of.

I came up with this Cajun Shrimp salad, no it's not really a Cobb salad but it was delicious! You can omit the bacon, but I figure 2 slices of bacon will not kill me and you can add other vegetables if you like.

Cajun Shrimp Salad (makes 2 large salads)
24 shrimp, peeled and remove the veins
8 large grape tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup black beans, (if you use canned be sure to drain and rinse them well)
6 slices of bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
Cajun seasoning
1 small sweet onion, diced and sauteed
4 cups baby organic spinach (or whatever green you prefer)
dressing of your choice

Cook your bacon, drain and crumble, set aside. I cooked the onion in the bacon drippings, yes that is probably not the best way and surely not the healthiest way, but to keep my husband happy this is what I do. Once in a while won't kill ya, I promise.
Sprinkle the shrimp with Cajun seasoning and saute.
On a plate lay out your spinach, next in rows add your beans, tomatoes, onion, bacon and shrimp. The plate is very appealing and taste delicious all combined. We topped ours with a tablespoon of light ranch dressing. Again, you can make a better choice on the dressing, but this meal still meets my 80% clean rule.
ENJOY


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment