Monday, March 10, 2014

Grillades over creamy grits

If you've been around any length of time you know I love Southern Living cookbooks. I must, I've given a way 3 of them! I can't help myself.

Not long ago, I received  The Slim Down South cookbook, which, since I had begun my new lifestyle, to slim myself down, arrived with perfect timing.

As before, with all their cookbooks, I found at least a dozen I wanted to try. The recipes never fail. This particular book was written by Carolyn O'Neil, MS RD and contains wonderful information about health,well-being and balance in ones diet.

Of course each recipe includes a photo of the finished product which I LOVE. I hate a cookbook without photos. I'm visual and like to "see" the dish.

So, last week I was browsing through the book again in search of a new dish to serve my hard working hubby and found this ... Grillades over creamy grits. Well, first of all it goes against my solid Southern upbringing to cook grits in milk! GASP but thought I'd give it a go.

I must say, with the dish, the grits were a perfect addition but as a general rule, not how I will cook mine for breakfast :)

When I handed this to my husband, he looked at me and said "did we run out of rice? You're serving me cube steak over grits?" I had to laugh and said, just try it.

Try it he did AND loved it.


Grillades over creamy grits
1 lb pork cube steaks
flour
creole seasoning
oil
1 cup finely diced onion
1 cup finely diced celery
1/2 cup finely diced peppers
1 can no salt added diced tomatoes
1/2 cups chicken broth

Mix your flour and seasoning, dredge the steaks and pan fry. I used just enough oil to lightly fry them. Not deep or soaking.
Remove the steaks and add the onion, celery and peppers. (I chopped mine in  the food processors to make them tiny) saute these for a few minutes then add the tomatoes and broth. Allow to simmer and reduce down.

While the sauce is reducing, cook your grits.

In a sauce pan, add 1 cup chicken broth, 1 cup milk (I used almond milk) and 1/2 cup quick cooking grits. Stir and allow to thicken.

Serve while hot, grits, place the steak on top with a spoonful of the sauce. I sprinkled a little smoked paprika and parsley flakes on top.

ENJOY
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment