Friday, February 28, 2014

Pecan Cinnamon Granola

I used to eat granola a lot, as a snack, on yogurt, on ice cream, with fruit, on top of a cobbler...you get the picture.

Then I dropped ALL grains for 3 weeks. I am now introducing SOME back into my meals, but not a lot.

I was at the grocery store and thought I'd pick up a box. WOW wrong answer! Have you read what's in there? Talk about hidden fat, sugar and calories. Yikes. So I said to myself, "self", "let's go home and make our own". yes I talk to myself, it's okay. (wink)

I have made granola before, if you missed it, you can find the previous recipe HERE

This one is a little different and simpler, less ingredients, less fat which means less calories. I modified this recipe from Gooseberry Patch.This granola is also cheaper to make, I like being frugal. I had planned to put dried cranberries in but changed my mind. SO if you see them in the photo, I omitted them.

I also added some cocoa extract, yeah, have you seen it? NuNaturals carries it. You can find it HERE


Pecan Cinnamon Granola
5 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raw shredded coconut
1/2 cup honey, raw and local
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp cinnamon
2 half droppers NuNaturals Cocoa extract

Stir the liquid together in a small bowl and set aside. Add all your dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir well. Now mix in your wet, I used my hands, it is easier.
Next spread the mix evenly and thinly onto 2 15 x 10 sheet pans. Bake at 200 degrees for 20 minutes. Stir and return to the oven for 20 minutes. Bake 20 minutes, remove and stir. Repeat this one more time, then cool and store in an air tight container or gallon zip top bag.

Here you see Greek yogurt, 1/2 banana, 1 large strawberry and 2 TBSP granola

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment