Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Cucumber marinade

Tuesday and we are into our second week of February. How's your weather? In South Georgia, ours is pretty dang skippy compared to my Mid-West and Northern friends. The older I get the less I like the cold and snow, guess it's a good thing we moved further south.

Folks here are already talking about tilling up the ground for their gardens. Strange even for me, in NC we don't plant until after April 15th, plants that is. The seed may go in around the 1st of April. I know soon I'll be talking about hot it is. I've been here during July before and it is hot enough and the humidity is so high, you can take a steam bath outside. ugh...THAT I am NOT looking forward to.

One thing about warmer weather, it brings in more of my favorite foods. Like cucumbers and tomatoes. I do love those and with being closer to Florida, we are already getting greenhouse vegetables.

I wanted a taste of summer, so I whipped up this marinade last week. We both loved it. Honestly I could eat this several times a week, and come summer, I most likely will.

It is simple, easy and delicious. PLUS it falls right in with my 'clean' choices these days.

Cucumber marinade
1/2 English cucumber (the really long skinny ones you see at the store)thin sliced
1/2 yellow onion, thin sliced
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
1 TBSP crushed dried oregano
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
3-4 TBSP red wine vinegar
crushed black pepper
2 TBSP dried parsley
1 TBSP lemon juice

Combine all the ingredients and chill for 20 minutes. Serve as a salad, side dish or picnic item. Goes great with sandwiches, chicken, burgers and potluck lunches.

ENJOY
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment