Friday, January 31, 2014

Meyer Lemon and Pecan Muffins - healthy

I purchased some Meyer lemons last week and kept wanting to do something new with them. I did put them in my smoothie each morning, added a little kick. I love lemons and if you look around in the dessert list on my recipe page, you will find a LOT of lemon recipes. Approximately...44 times you'll see "lemon"...yeah I'm sort of a lemon lover.

So anyway, since changing into this new lifestyle and eating clean, baking has not happened at my house. My husband hasn't complained but believe me, if I go in there and start to bake he will NOT complain either!

I wanted something sweet but not overly so and I didn't want to break the bank on fat and calories either. So after skimming through my cookbooks, I found a few recipes I liked. Well, you know me, I had to combine a few of them and make my own.

Here is what I came up with:

 There is no white granulated sugar in these muffins. Instead I used Tagatose which can be purchased through NuNaturals. A great all natural sweetener that comes from the tagatose fruit. It is diabetic friendly, can be used in baking or in beverages. I also used Lemon Stevia liquid drops from NuNaturals as well. This added a little more lemon without a lot of extra liquid in the batter.


 I also milled my own whole wheat flour for this recipe, using my mill from the Wonder Mill company. I love being able to make my own flour.
And to make sure I was as healthy as possible I also used grape-seed oil from Pompeian. Grape-seed oil is very healthy and can be used in frying, saute, dressings and baking.

Meyer Lemon and Pecan Muffins
1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup Tagatose
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk (use whatever you are used to. Almond, soy, coconut it doesn't matter)
1/4 cup grape seed oil (you could use vegetable or coconut)
juice of 3 Meyer lemons
1/3 cup chopped pecans
20-40 drops (you decide on the amount) lemon stevia drops

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12 holders.

Mix your dry ingredients in one bowl and beat your wet ingredients in another. Then combine the two. Allow this to sit for about 5 minutes. Then fold in the nuts.
Fill your muffin liners about half way and bake for 18 minutes.
When still hot, drizzle with topping...now this is NOT as healthy but added a little something :)

1 cup powdered sugar
juice and zest from 2 Meyer lemons
mix well and drizzle over muffins

Sweet and tangy! 
ENJOY

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment