Monday, January 27, 2014

Faux oyster stew - Meatless Monday

Living in Georgia is interesting. Food is NOT the same as in NC let me tell ya. (Sorry if you from GA no offense) just saying it is a lot different.

A lot of deep frying goes on, not something I'm used to and not something I'm eating either. Does NOT fit in with my new healthy lifestyle and food choices.

Lots of peas, beans, greens, cornbread and 'different' foods. What am I talking about, well, the potato crust pizza for one, you'll see tomorrow and this...oyster stew, that has NO oysters but sure taste just like it! 

NO JOKE 

My husband's cousin was wanting 'oyster stew'. She asked me if I liked it, well not really. I'm not an oyster person. 

"Oh me neither but this stew taste just like it but there's no oysters"


Say what? WHAT can you cook that will taste like oysters but not use any oysters , oyster sauce or fish sauce?

Curious...

Egg plant. No lie! I watched as his aunt prepared it and I tried it. Sure enough it taste like oyster stew, but is meat and seafood free!

Crazy!

Faux Oyster Stew
1/2 large egg plant, peeled and minced
1/2 onion, finely diced
salt
pepper
3 cups milk
1/3 cup butter
2 cups water

In a sauce pan, add water, salt, pepper, onion and eggplant. Stew (boil and cook down)approximately 20 minutes. Now stir in your butter and milk. Cook this on low for 10-15 minutes and serve.

ENJOY

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment