Thursday, December 19, 2013

Roasted Stuffed Baked Butternut Squash

Remember I told you months back about our garden and how MANY squash we had? I wasn't kidding, we are still eating butternut squash.

This recipe is great, I made this one night and had enough that we had 2 more meals. NOW that's what I call frugal living. 3 meals out of 1 and the cost winds up being less than 50 cent a serving! YES you did read that right. I mean, can you go out to eat for 50 cent? I think not.

Plus it was really good and full of nutrition.

Did you see the post I did, well a round up of butternut squash recipes? I'll have to add this one.

If you don't know how good the BNSquash is for you, let me remind you:


 Since I still have so many, yes I moved them with me :)  I had been planning on doing a stuffed butternut for some time now, just had not gotten around to it. So I finally did it.
You could use leftover turkey, stuffing and rice in this dish instead of cooking chicken, if you have leftovers from Thanksgiving still or even AFTER Christmas to use up that turkey. Great use of leftovers, even if you buy a rotisserie chicken, as only a small amount is used.


Roasted Stuffed Baked Butternut Squash
2 butternut squash
2 chicken breast, de-boned, cooked and chopped
1/2 cup rice, cooked
1 box stuffing mix, chicken flavor
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 TBSP parsley flakes,optional
1 TBSP butter, cook with the rice


Cut you squash in half length wise and scoop out the middle. Place upside down in a pan, roast for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Don't worry if they are not fully cooked, you will fill and bake them.

Mix your cooked rice and chicken in a bowl with your stuffing mix (fix according to package) and can of soup.

Stuff the squash and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Sprinkle with parsley and serve!

Since there is only 2 of us now, this made 2 separate dinners for us. AND there was TOO much stuffing/chicken to fill all four halves. So that was eaten on a third night.

With your extra stuffing mix, store it in the fridge in a small rectangular baking dish. When you are ready to serve, add a drop or two of oil in a skillet and turn the mix out into the skillet. Allow it to simmer on med./low until brown and crusty, flip carefully and repeat. Serve with a healthy doze of vegetables and

ENJOY!

3 meals in 1, how frugal can you get?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment