Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Oatmeal Crunch Bars

Are you looking for a treat? A snack or a little something to leave for the big guy, besides cookies?

Good, then I have just the thing for you.

See, these all came about because I was wanting something sweet, was almost out of sugar and it was late. So I really didn't want to get out of my pj's to go to the store.

Yeah, yeah I know. I see folks in Wal-Mart in their pj's but not this chick!

So there I stood, looking in the pantry trying to decide WHAT to bake. I wanted sweet, I wanted crunch and hearty. A satisfying snack.

I got it! So I pulled out all the ingredients and set to work. It only took a few minutes and BAM I was done.

With what you ask? The perfect snack cake/bar. Not really a cake, because I think of cake as soft and fluffy, not a brownie because those are thick and chocolaty, a bar because you can cut it and hold it in your hands. No dishes required, guys love that, finger food.

So the Oatmeal Crunch Bars were born, and soon devoured. 

Oatmeal Crunch Bars
1/2 cup butter, unsalted and room temp
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, large
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup shredded coconut


Grease a baking pan, I used a glass pan (size 10x7) , preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, beat your sugars and butter. Add the egg and mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well.
Now combine them together. This will be very thick and will take some arm muscle to combine it all.
Spread in the pan and bake for 15-20 minutes depending on your oven.
Allow it to rest for at least 15 minutes before cutting and serving. Great hot out of the oven and just as good cold the next day.
Cut into bars and store in an airtight container.

ENJOY and Merry Christmas

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment