Monday, December 30, 2013

Bacon Horseradish and Fire Roasted Tomato Dip: Guest Post From Calculus to Cupcakes

Today my friend Michelle from Calculus to Cupcakes is sharing a great recipe with us AND just in time for those New Year's Eve parties!
Perfect timing Michelle! and a big thank you for sharing. Be sure to stop by her social media links and check out her recipes. She does a great Monday post with "man food" that you are sure to enjoy.


Bacon, Horseradish, and Fire Roasted Tomato Dip
Hi, I am Michelle from From Calculus to Cupcakes, and I am very excited to be doing this guest post for my friend Dawn!
This is bacon, horseradish, and fire roasted tomato dip is just delicious and would be great for holiday parties or football watching, etc.  My husband and I came up with it when trying to come up with a new take on the classic cheese and tomato dip.  We still wanted hot and cheesy, but wanted a different flavor instead of the usual Mexican flavor you find with these dips.
I made this recipe on the stove top, and we ate it right then, but if I were making it for a party, I would transfer it to my little mini slow cooker on warm, so it didn't cool off too quickly.  If you put it in the slow cooker, be sure to stir in occasionally, so that it doesn't burn.  Mine is an older model that gets hotter than I like on warm, and I sometimes have to turn it off and let it cool down for a while to keep things from burning.  We ate it both we tortilla chips and crackers.  My son preferred the crackers while my husband preferred the chips, and I liked them both.

Bacon, Horseradish, and Fire Roasted Tomato Dip 
Ingredients:
9 slices of bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1 Tbsp. of bacon fat reserved from frying the bacon
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
1 ½ cups diced fire roasted tomatoes, drained
1/3 to ½ cup fire roasted tomato juice, reserved from draining the tomatoes
1 Tbsp. prepared horseradish
8 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
4 scallions, sliced

Directions:
Add the bacon fat to the bottom of a large saucepan and swirl it around to grease the bottom of the pan.  This will help keep the cream cheese from sticking.  Stir in the tomatoes and 1/3 cup of juice.  Heat over medium stirring constantly until the cream cheese is melted.  Add the extra juice if needed.  Stir in horseradish, Monterrey Jack cheese, bacon and scallions (reserving a little bacon and scallions to garnish).  Continue to heat and stir until Monterrey Jack is melted and everything is well combined.  Serve immediately with crackers or tortilla chips or put in a slow cooker on warm.  Garnish with reserved bacon and scallions.


**You can follow Michelle at:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment