Monday, November 4, 2013

Spicey Beef and Butternut Squash Stew over couscous

An easy meal with an Indian flare. This can be prepared on the stove top, in a dutch oven or crock pot/slow cooker.

I have been browsing through old magazines and finding some great recipes. I of course change them up based on what I have available or our likes/dislikes. Maybe I should say my dislikes, as my husband has few of those.

You might wonder about all these magazines. Well, my aunt buys and reads them, she passes them to my mom, who reads them and passes them to me. Sometimes at that point they are 2 years old. You can bet they are "out of season". I wind up getting the Christmas edition at Easter time and the Summer picnic foods in November. That's okay. I enjoy reading them anyway and browsing through to see what recipe I can find to 'liven' things up.

You know, you get bored cooking "winter food" or salads all summer.

This recipe was actually from a magazine I purchased, but had yet to read. I know I know...it was a Jan 2013 issues, so at least I read it in the same year I bought it. haha

When I saw it, I knew I had to try it.

As I have mentioned before, we grew the "IT LIVES" butternut squash plants this summer. My husband swore it was some alien creature here to take over. It did take over, the entire garden and wove itself all around everything in sight.

So now I have a basket full of butternut squash. I have been fixing them and using them and the basket seems to have come from Mary Poppins because I swear it doesn't look like they have gone down any at all. AND I gave away a bunch too boot!

This dish would look much better, but lesson learned. I stirred it to death! Stirring too much breaks down the squash like potatoes and they begin to just blend with all the sauce.
No matter, it was really good.

Spicy Beef and Butternut Squash Stew (over couscous)
1 - 8oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup beef broth
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste
1 large onion chopped
2 lbs beef stew meat cut into bite size
1 small butternut squash (about a lb)peeled and diced
1 can chick peas rinsed and drained
couscous

In a slow cooker or dutch oven combine the first 7 ingredients and stir well. Next add the remaining ingredients except couscous. Stir, cover and allow to cook for 4-6 hours in the crock pot or on the stove top at medium heat for 1 hour, in the oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours in a covered dutch oven.
Serve over couscous, which takes 5 minutes to prepare or over rice. Your choice.

ENJOY!



 Other great magazine inspired recipes:
Moo Shu Chicken wraps
Tuscan Chicken and beans
Korean Tacos

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment