Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Over the Top! Pecan Pie

 My husband is a pecan pie lover. He has many favorites, (well, not much he doesn't like) , but he has two desserts that are his all time favorites: pecan pie and key lime pie. 

My mom knows this and in my hometown many folks request her pecan pie for their birthdays. My husband is not exception. He gets one of these pies for his birthday, Christmas and any time in between that he can bat his eyes and get her to fix him one.

He has been after me for years, seriously, years, to fix him a "loaded" pecan pie. Well, while looking through this lovely cookbook from Southern Living, we found a Bourbon Pecan Pie. Yes, he loves bourbon.

He knew I wanted to fix one more recipe to show case this book for the giveaway. So he said "there ya go". Which translates to "fix my pie woman!" lol

 I have in the past fixed him a coconut pecan pie and another time a chocolate pecan pie. So this time...... it is a LOADED OVER THE TOP pecan pie.

Chocolate Coconut Bourbon Bacon Pecan Pie


Yes, you read that right. ALL that is in the pie and believe it or not, it was FREAKIN' fantastic! I really can't tell you just how good it was, there are no words, except WOW WOW and WOW.

Yeah , taste bud heaven. My husband was so thrilled with this pie. It did not last long. 8 slices, 2 people and only 48 hour survival time. I had 2 if that tells you how much he liked it. AND he is requesting another.

Now the recipe in the book is for a Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie, in the bluegrass region of the book. So I added a few things.

Over The TOP! Pecan Pie (chocolate coconut bourbon bacon pecan pie)
1 pie crust (I used a deep dish premade)
baked and cooled
1 1/2 cups pecans
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup toasted coconut
6 slices bacon, cooked crispy and broken up
1 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup Bourbon (
4 large eggs
1/4 cup butter melted
2 tsp cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt

In the pie crust, baked and cooled, sprinkle the pecans,chocolate chips, coconut and bacon. Set aside.
Combine the corn syrup, sugar, brown sugar and bourbon in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium heat and cook , stir constantly for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
Whisk together eggs, melted butter, cornmeal and salt. Stir in hot mixture in small amounts to temper the eggs (careful or you'll have scrambled eggs). Once all ingredients are incorporated, pour into the pie pan.
Careful or you'll overflow.
Wrap the edges of the crust in foil so as not to burn them.
Place the pie on a cookie sheet, with sides in case of overflow.
Bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack.
Slice and ENJOY!!

Other recipes from the book, or my take on them:


WINNER: Heather B

No comments:

Post a Comment