Sunday, November 24, 2013

Butternut Squash Round Up

This year our garden went nuts, we had the largest plants I've ever seen. Not sure what happened. We had 4 butternut squash plants and only two survived. Those two plants gave us over a dozen squash. Almost two dozen and as you can tell, I've been cooking them a lot.

At one point my husband called them the "alien" plants and joked about them taking over and he saw them move while he was out working. ha ha crazy man but they did grow at such a ridiculous rate I swear you could watch it happen.

I had eaten butternut squash for the first time a little over a year ago and really loved them. So to have my very own plants was exciting.

Also knowing that if kept in a cool dark dry place, they will stay fresh up to 4 months! YES four! That means I can keep eating them. However, if after that time we have not consumed them all. I'll just peel and diced them up, toss them into an air tight bag and freeze them. They can be frozen up to a year. Now that's what I'm talking about.

After having so many, I decided to look up the benefits of butternut squash. They are WONDERFUL for you. How wonderful you ask. This wonderful



Here are a few of the recipes:

Carnival Squash
Butternut Squash and Lentil Stew
Spicy Beef and Butternut Squash Stew
Dinner Guest - butternut squash massacre of 2013
Roasted Delicata Squash
Black Bean and butternut squash chili




Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment