Monday, November 11, 2013

Butternut Squash and Lentil Stew - #MeatlessMonday

First
Happy Veteran's Day and THANK YOU
to all our men and women who so bravely serve and sacrifice for our freedom!
I understand the deployments, the missed anniversaries, birthdays and holidays. Worry, not knowing, kids missing their parent, being a single parent and trying to adjust when they come back. I get it. I was an Army wife for 17 years. So for all your ladies or men out there, keeping the home fires burning, love respect and prayers for you all. HOO-AH

*****
Does your family do the "meatless Monday"? 

We do, sometimes, my husband as I have mentioned before is a Meataterian. Big meat eater, so going "meatless" is a big no no. However, I do manage to find a recipe here and there that fills him up and doesn't make him complain.

This is no exception. Actually fixed it yesterday for lunch but had plenty leftover for today. And as you know, some foods are better the second time around.

Also I have mentioned the abundance of butternut squash at my house. I'm trying to use them up.

This recipe was really simple and packed with flavor. Since I keep all these ingredients on hand, nothing had to be purchased and that makes this a VERY frugal meal.

Oh and by the way, my husband loved the stew and was happy to eat it a second day. Two thumbs up and 5 forks :) yippee!

Butternut Squash and Lentil Stew(soup)
2 TBSP olive oil (Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive oil)
1/2 large sweet red bell pepper, diced (use diced carrots if you prefer)
1 rib celery diced
1/2 large red onion diced (you could use white or yellow. Red was what I had)
1 medium sized butternut squash, diced
2 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 cups chicken broth (you could use vegetable)
2 cups water
1 can diced tomatoes in juice
1 cup brown lentils (picked through and rinsed)
1/2 tsp cilantro flakes

In a large pot, Dutch oven or stock pot, add oil and vegetables. Saute for 5 minutes, with the seasonings as well. Stir in the broth, water and lentils. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 50 minutes covered, stir occasionally. Remove the lid and simmer another 10.
Serve and 
ENJOY!

Here is everything in the pot and ready to simmer:



And HERE is the finished product! A nice hot steamy bowl of yumminess!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment