Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pantry update ~ Guest Post with Whitney J Decor

Hi everyone, we are doing something different today. BUT it still has to do with food. Just in a different way. Today my fellow "Southern" girl and blogger Whitney is sharing with us about organizing, rearranging and redecorating your pantry.
I'm excited and hope she has some help for me! We repainted our master bath recently and I have yet to "decorate" it. She will have some fabulous ideas I'm sure. And I'm just waiting :)

If you'd like to follow her, read more and just see what she's up to, here are her social media links.


Website 
Twitter
Facebook
Pinterest 


Hey, I'm Whitney!!! I'm the owner and Principal Interior Designer of Whitney J Decor, a decor company specializing in space planning, small spaces, and decorating spaces with a touch of glamour. I'm based in New Orleans, but offer E-Decor Services as well. I'm here on Dawn's blog to show you how to update a small pantry, with a bit of a decorator's touch. Check out the before pics of my mom's very tiny kitchen pantry:
small tiny unorganized pantry

small tiny unorganized pantry

small tiny unorganized pantry
As you can see, her pantry was really small, unorganized, and needs some help in the "paint" department. There were a lot of things that don't belong in there and many that should be there that are hanging out in other places of her kitchen.
My mom keeps most of her food items in her kitchen cabinets, but she wanted the pantry to house her baking supplies, small appliances, and other miscellaneous stuff that usually would sit on the counters.
Here's what it looks like now:
small organized pantry
To start, I gave the entire interior of the pantry a fresh coat of white paint, including the brown shelves. I scraped off the old white paint on the door, but kept it brown.
She wanted to bring in a lot of red (her favorite color), and I suggested that we mix it with black and white.Then, I gathered everything that needed to be stored in the pantry.
She had a lot of plastic containers bought from wholesale supply stores that used to house parsley, garlic powder, sugar, etc., so we cleaned them out, scraped off the old labels, and created new labels to help organize the food that will be stored in the panty. I used mailing labels and trimmed each with black and white polka dot washi tape.
small, organized pantry with labeled containers
I added and labeled a basket "baking" to hold her baking foods, like baking powder, small pie crusts, and cake mixes. She needed a new mixing bowl, so we bought this cute one from Walmart and stored it next to her baking foods.
small organized pantry decorated
As you can see, I also added in two wood art pieces that she had for a LONG time. They work perfect in her pantry. Don't be afraid to add a little art in your pantry!! Also notice that there's a lot of white and black elements in here. I wanted to make sure we stayed on track with the colors we chose, so the pantry would not only look organized, but also decorated.
art in pantry
Last thing was to do something about the floor of the pantry. There's not much more that needs to be stored here, but we brought in a rattan basket for the floor. Potatoes can be stored, large containers, textiles, and anything else that can't fit on the shelves. Next to the basket is her electric knife and waffle maker.
basket in small decorated pantry
So, what do you think? This is definitely a transformation from what it was before, but it was fairly easy. Since the pantry is so small, there wasn't a lot of stuff to work with. We made sure that we stuck with the color scheme, removed knick-knacks, and only stored what was necessary.

Here's some tips to organizing and decorating YOUR pantry:
  • Choose a color scheme and implement the colors in your food, containers, appliances, dishware, and/or labels.
  • Clean dirty walls and give them a coat of paint if needed.
  • Add small artwork if it can fit, if not, include a small statue or decorative cookbooks.
  • Be sure to throw away what isn't being used or move them to a more fitting place.
  • Baskets are great for corraling like items or smaller items that can be pulled out together at once.
  • Reuse old containers, clean them, and create new labels.
I hope you liked this post!! Be sure to stop by my blog to see posts about decorating ALL the spaces in YOUR home!

 XOXO
 Whitney


Thanks so much Whitney and I love baskets, the red, white and black is clean and classic. I hope you'll stop by and see what she has on her site. I love it, it is like Pinterest, I could just look around all day!
  Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment