Thursday, October 24, 2013

Chicken Paprikash ~ 1950 throw back

I had this bright idea to look for recipes from the 1920's and 50's. What type of meal was typical during this time. You'd be amazed at what you will find.

During the 20's of course was the depression so money and staples were in short supply. Your average American was poor and struggling to provide for their families and keep their farms. If you did not grow it or trade with your farm neighbors, you likely did not buy it either. Times were hard.

In the 50's it was the June Clever (Leave it to Beaver), Mary Cunningham (Happy Days) and Father Knows Best times. These were shows if you are under 40 you probably have no idea what I'm referring to.
Moms were stay at home, baking, cooking meals from scratch, raising their children and keep a spotless house.

The supermom of the time.

The shows portray these women in dresses, pearls and heels while keeping a spotless happy home. Women wore beehive hairdo's and made amazing meals. Little to no fast food was available and dinner time was a time where the family sat down together and caught up on the events of the day.
This is something we always tried hard to maintain. Dinner time with the family. sitting down and finding out who did what and how things were going.

So in my pursuit of the "family meal" I found several. Most of which I was familiar with. Fried chicken, meat loaf, beef stew and other similar "family dinners" or your "typical" American meal.
I chose one I was not familiar with or I should say I've heard of it but had not prepared it myself.



 I used the Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive oil. If you have not tried this yet, you should. A beautiful green color ,very rich in flavor and no nasty aftertaste. 



Chicken Paprikash
serves 4, 30 minutes to prepare and $1.85 cost per serving
6 oz wide egg noodles
1TBSP parsley flakes OR 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 TBSP olive oil (Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into 2 1/2 inch pieces
kosher salt and pepper
1/2 cup white wine
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper (I used 1 orange sweet bell)
2 cloves garlic chopped, (I used 2 tsp garlic powder)
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 TBSP paprika + 2 tsp
1/2 cup sour cream
  • cook the egg noodles according to the package directions. Drain and return to the pot. Toss with parsley and a tsp butter.
  • heat 1 TBSP oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season chicken with paprkia, garlic powder and pepper. Brown chicken and remove.
  • Add wine to the skillet and cook off the brown bits in the bottom, scrap as you need to, cook 2 minutes and transfer to the bowl with the chicken.
  • Add the remaining oil to the skillet and cook the onion and peppers until tender, add the tomatoes and other spices. Stir and cook for 5-6 minutes.
  • Add the chicken and sauce back into the pan. Cook until the chicken is done. remove chicken and stir in the sour cream. 
  • Serve the chicken and sauce over the noodles.


Now this dish was something I had not tried before and I enjoyed it but my husband was not real big on it. I was surprised. The flavor palate was nothing new and ingredients that I use on a normal daily basis. It may have been because he was not feeling well but he said it was "okay". It was not "Fabulous" by any means. But a good hearty dish.

Other recent family dinners: Beef Stew , Thanksgiving meal , Weekend Family Breakfast

"Like" Pompeian on Facebook for a $1.00 off coupon on any Pompeian Olive Oil & the latest news
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment