Friday, October 4, 2013

Beef Stew

Who out there remembers Happy Days, Father Knows Best or Leave it to Beaver? Okay, I know I'm dating myself here. But when I think of "good ol' American family dinner" food, I see the moms from these shows, in their pressed dress , pearls, heels, hair fixed and pretty apron serving their family a sit down home cooked wholesome meal. I grew up this way. Well, not exactly. My mom didn't wear heels or pearls but she did fix home cooked meals and we did sit down as a family.

My dad worked 16 hour days 7 days a week, but he would pop in for supper, eat and was gone. It was important to us to be together and plus, he worked hard. he was a hungry man!

When I think of those dinners, a few things come to mind, meat loaf, fried chicken, pork chops, a nice roast or beef stew.

My husband and I made it a point, after he was out of the military of course, to sit down each night and have a family meal. One where we engaged in conversation with each other and our boys. Hearing about their day, what happened, joys of growing up, the lows of teenage life, girl trouble and so on. It was important.

One of our favorite meals was beef stew served with fresh green beans and oven baked corn bread.

So today I'm sharing my  version of  beef stew and my friend Jutta is sharing her version. Be sure to stop by and say HI to her for me :)

Beef Stew
1 lb beef stew meat
1 can fire roasted tomatoes with chilies
1 lb baby carrots
7 medium potatoes
3 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1 cup beef broth
1 large onion
crock pot 6 hours high heat


Jutta's version

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment