Monday, September 23, 2013

Spaghetti with capers and tomatoes

You know, since I don't have cable or satellite I don't get to watch FoodTV or other cooking channels. This is one thing I miss. However, I do get PBS which I love, it is educational and they have started carrying more cooking shows. One I love, when I can remember it is on, is Lidia's Italy. She is the mom to Joe, one of the chefs/host of Master Chef.

She of course is Italian and has her dear mom on the show at the end to taste it all. She cracks me up!

Lidia really educates you about the regions in Italy, where the food comes from, how it is grown, processed and cooked. That was one of the reason I watched this particular episode. She was talking about capers, the different ones, sizes, flavors and how they are grown. Very interesting. I'm much more into "facts and history" than when I was in school. haha sad but true.

I was watching a few weeks ago and saw this recipe. I did not look it up and just made it from the memory I had of what she used. I know she did not use sun-dried tomatoes but I added them anyway. If you want her recipe you can look it up but this is what I did.

Oh and my 'meatarian' husband loved it! He likes capers, he did not know this until I made chicken piccata not that long ago.


Spaghetti with capers and tomatoes
4 TBSP olive oil (I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil)**
**this was added as needed not all at once
1 large sweet onion, diced
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flake
salt and pepper to taste

Add this to the skillet and saute until the onion becomes translucent. Add more oil if needed.

While the onion is cooking, fill a pot with water, add 1 tsp salt and boil your spaghetti. I used thin spaghetti because it is what I prefer. I also use Barilla Plus due to it being loaded with Omega's and protein.

5 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 small jar of capers, drained
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, diced or leave whole

Parmesan cheese

At the half way point of cooking the pasta, toss in the sun-dried tomatoes. Take 1 ladle of pasta water and add to the onion. Also, add in the drained capers and diced tomatoes. Stir well. Add more oil if needed, you want it wet but not standing.

Drain the pasta and add to the capers and tomatoes. Mix well. Serve hot topped with Parmesan cheese.

Add a side salad and you have a great vegetarian or meatless Monday meal. We had ours for Sunday lunch.


ENJOY!!

You have recently seen German meals, Asian and always Mexican. Over the next few days you will see other "international" flair foods. I've been on a kick lately, searching out dishes and making my own versions. I hope you enjoy them, we sure have :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment