Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Korean Taco

I am a foodie, a lover of food and as such I love to look at recipes online, in magazines and cookbooks. However, do not hand me a cookbook that has no pictures! I hate that. I am a visual learner and as such I need to "see" it. If I can see the photo and you tell me what you call it, chances are I can make it without an ingredient list. It is a blessing and one my husband enjoys. I very seldom if ever follow a recipe to a T unless it is baking. Then I will follow it the first time, making a few adjustments in sugar amounts or flavorings but you can count on it, that if I make it again, it will have my twist to it.

Today I'm sharing a recipe I recently saw in a magazine. The name caught my attention first. Korean Tacos with Asian slaw. REALLY? Korean food and tacos? hmmm.... well as soon as I looked at the photo and the ingredient list I knew this was something I HAD to make. Of course in my own way :)

Now the ones in the magazine looked and sounded fantastic, I just didn't have the exact same ingredients. So I improvised. This is what true cooking is to me. Looking at a recipe and then making it your own. Or maybe it is my rebellious nature that doesn't like to 'follow the rules' or the fact that I WILL color outside the lines. Either way, they turned out GREAT and I will be making them again.

The night I made them, my husband came in, sat down and said... "so what's for dinner" as there was nothing on the stove or in the crock pot. I guess he thought I had gone on strike. LOL 
So my reply was "Korean Tacos"
a pause
"WHAT?" Oh never mind I'm not even going to ask I'm too tired"
I laughed.
He said, "really, you're going to put Korean food IN a taco?"
Just wait I said, you'll love it I promise and if not, I'll eat them all :)

So I got busy. Honestly, the whole thing took me about 20 minutes from start to finish. I LOVE that even more.

Oh and by the way, he took one bite, looked at me and said "MY G-d woman! this is good" Oh yeah baby, that's what I like to hear :)

Korean Tacos with Asian Slaw (my way)
2 TBSP rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup slaw mix (shredded mix cabbage in the bag)
1/2 cup broccoli slaw mix (in a bag)
2 green onions, diced

1 TBSP brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ginger powder
1/2-3/4 lb LEAN ground chuck
1 TBSP vegetable oil
2 TBSP + 2 tsp soy sauce
5 flour tortillas

In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, red pepper flake and 2 tsp soy sauce. Add the cabbage and broccoli slaw. Toss well and let sit while you cook.

In a large skillet over medium heat cook your ground chuck, just before it is cooked through, add your onions. And mix up your sauce - brown sugar, garlic, ginger, oil and soy sauce. Mix well and pour over the meat. Mix well.

In a dry skillet, toast your tortillas on both sides.

Spoon in the meat mixture and top with the slaw. Serve immediately.

ENJOY

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment