Sunday, September 8, 2013

Glass layered salad with Creamy lemon dressing

It's hard to believe it has been two weeks since I went to the Farmer's Market.   I still have a few fresh veggies left that I'm trying to use up. I don't want them to spoil. That would be a waste of money.

I also went to Trader Joe's that day. It was my husbands first time there and he loved it. YAY that means we'll go back!


Anyway, the other night I was looking at what I had left and decided to make  salad to use up the veggies and sprouts. But not just any salad.


I wanted it to be pretty. You know, the eye taste the food first and then the taste buds. Seriously, if it looks like crap you already have it in your head that it will taste bad.


I have been to luncheons where the food was awful but have heard folks say how "pretty" it was.


I also wanted a lemon dressing. I love lemon, ya'll already know that. So here is what I came up with.


Creamy Lemon Dressing

zest and juice of 2 lemons- if your lemons are small. 1 if large
2 TBSP EVOO= extra virgin olive oil
1 TBSP water
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Whisk together or put in a blender to emulsify. Serve over salad and pour remaining dressing in a bottle. store in the fridge.

I used the left over the next day on chicken that I roasted in the crock pot along with some chili powder. Yum!

 Layered Salad
Bean sprouts
broccoli slaw mix
red sweet salad peppers
yellow sweet salad peppers
tomatoes
green onions
Romaine lettuce
radishes
purple cabbage

Finely dice or chop all the ingredients. In a glass, layer the vegetables to create a lovely eye appealing rainbow effect.
You can use different vegetables based on what you have available or for your families preference.
 The effect was lovely but I did pour it into a bowl and add the dressing. My husband kept clinking the glass with is fork and honestly I was afraid we might break the glass.

We are simple folk and eating it in a bowl made more sense. BUT it did look good and if I had smaller wider glasses it would have worked for eating.

You could use plastic punch cups and serve this at a party with no problems.


ENJOY
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment